君と別れて (1933)
Kimi to wakarete
English Title: Apart From You

Directed By: Naruse Mikio
Written By: Naruse Mikio
Starring: Yoshikawa Mitsuko, Isono Akio, Mizukubo Sumiko
Length: 61 min.
Genre: Drama

Yoshikawa Mitsuko plays Kikue, an aging geisha with a son, Yoshio (Isono Akio), who is ashamed for his mother's profession. Terugiku (Sumiko Mizukubo) is a younger geisha who is close with Kikue.

Yoshio is hanging with the wrong crowd and getting into trouble. Kikue tries to get through to him, but he keeps getting more and more into trouble. Terugiku takes Yoshio to visit her family. There, she reveals that she hates being a geisha, doesn't want her sister to be a geisha and ends up in a terrible fight with her family.

After seeing how hard being a geisha has been for Terugiku, and realizing his mother was making the same sacrifice for him, Yoshio agrees to leave the gang. They don't let him off easy and a fight ensues. Terugiku tries to intervene and ends up getting stabbed. She recovers, but moves away to save her sister while Yoshio stays behind to take care of his mother.

I really liked this movie. The acting was superb. Just the right amount of emoting for silent film, but it never goes over the top., thanks in part to lots of close ups. The reveal that Terugiku hated being a geisha (with hints of it dropped before hand), and the blow up with her family, effectively added a whole layer of drama to the story.

Naruse also fine tuned his zoom-in technique. In No Blood Relation it would often lose focus, but it held on to it in this movie, even though I did think he did it a few too many times.

As of now, I'd rate this my favorite Japanese silent movie.

My Rating: 8/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.2/10 (386 votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: N/A Critics, 100% of Audience (4.1 / 5 ; 22 votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote