View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
GoBlue2419
High School JV

One of my first orders of business is assessing the coaching staff, and making some decisions on whether to keep existing coaches/personnel. Two decisions I will not have to make are whether to keep the pitching coach and the hitting coach, as both coaches from last season have resigned. So I need to find replacements for them.

Bench coach Joe Birge has been with the Mallards for the past two seasons. Birge is a no-nonsense guy, liking order and structure in the clubhouse. Some guys like that, some don’t. He currently has two years left on his contract, which is paying him $30,920 a year. I will most likely keep him around this season at least.

The scouting director is Bill White. White has been scouting director for the Mallards since 1976, and has a year left on his $28,780/year contract. He is generally regarded as a strong judge of talent, with his strengths as scouting the Big Leagues and international scouting. White I will definitely keep aboard.

In the Minor Leagues, I will be making a few changes here. Don’t say anything to him until I have a chance to talk to him, but I will be letting Ben Thomas, manager of our AAA Porterville Pheasants club, go. I want to get someone in there with more developmental ability. Likewise, I will be finding a new hitting coach at AAA Porterville as well. Henry Day has been the hitting coach at Porterville since 1970, and I have not seen the development in the batters at that level that I would want.

The staff at the lower levels I will probably leave them be and give them a chance to show me what they can do.

Speaking of the lower levels, I should probably introduce you to those teams as well. As I have already mentioned, our AAA affiliate is the Porterville Pheasants. At AA we have the Kernal City Huskers. Our Single A club is the Cascadia City Klondikes, and our Rookie ball team is the Coconut Bay Sandpipers.
GoBlue2419 is offline   Reply With Quote