View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 12:16 AM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You see, I had already decided that I was going to give them a traveling base of operations. They just decided that it was going to be their version of the tour bus.

Why?

It's a single horse carriage. Doesn't look like much. I mean, when the players will first see it, it doesn't look like much. But.. it's magical.

Well, of course it is, a carriage of traveling bards is going to be something garish and over the top right?

Oh, they have NO idea (the characters that is)

You see, it was created by a Mad Mage (no, not that Mad Mage who lives Undermountain, besides, he's copyrighted). This was to be his personal vehicle. As such, it's got a few surprises under the hood

Xortl placed a bag of holding inside another bag of holding, and then simultaneously turned both bags of holding inside out (Hint: DON'T TURN A BAG OF HOLDING INSIDE OUT. BAD THINGS HAPPEN. UNLESS YOU'RE A POWERFUL ENOUGH MAGE, THEN BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO OTHERS, BUT NOT YOU)

In short, this ripped a hole in reality, and created a link to the Plane of Portals. Then he sent folks (mostly that Unpaid intern thing), to map out the rooms that were linked to the tear in reality (which he cunningly hid as a floor hatch inside the carriage to the belly cargo hold.) Those who returned with their sanity intact were widely feted (and then had mindwipe spells cast on them, so they wouldn't know what they were being feted for).

He then created a supernatural servant to serve all his needs. He named his creation Bob. Bob runs the entire carriage, as needed. He's the carriage driver He's the stevedore. He's the stable boy who looks after the horse. The horse also is Bob. That's right, Bob is everywhere. This can be rather disturbing. We did mention that Xortl was a mad mage, right? So, it can be rather unusual to eat breakfast (cooked by Bob), clear the table (so Bob can clean the dishes), and then on the way out, pass by a pair of Bobs who are unloading cargo, and then when it's all set, have Bob nudge Bob into a trot at they head to the next town.

It's confusing. I know. I wrote that sentence, and I still can't figure it out.

Xortl has supposedly long since moved on to other experiments (rumor has it that he was going to place a Font of Everlasting Creation inside an Orb of Annihilation. Thankfully for reality, there's been no record if he actually did so.), but the Carriage of Xortl awaits our party, if they can recover the last parts of it. Bob's quite insistent on being properly fixed before he allows them to use Bob.

Wait, I'm getting caught up in Bob-dom, again.

Just know that our party will need to fix Bob before they can use Bob for whatever reasons. (Probably, knowing my players, it will involve smuggling). And there are a whole bunch of doors left to explore. Most of them are like Sesame Street episodes, if they were brought to you by the letters T, P, and K.

(that's a D&D reference, TPK=Total Party Kill. What I should Have done the second this idea was proposed).

But, who knows. I'm pretty sure the adventures ahead will be interesting, filled with Bob and treasure, and may or may not involve Goblin Firedancers (who dance with fire thanks to the help of Magic Mud), lich cosplayers, kobold encyclopedia creators, and copious alignment violations.

Something's gotta give. Odds are it will be my sanity.

But I'm taking them with me.