View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #4126
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Oh fuck, that was cringey.

Among the worst feelings I have ever felt was taking a foul ball in the nuts when I was bright enough to be playing catcher without a cup. I was crying too.....after I was able to breath again.

I haven't seen what you're talking about today, but there was a Bellator fight over the weekend where one guy kicked a guy directly in the balls twice within about a minute, he couldn't continue, and it's a no context.

Edit: Ah, I see it's the one Pilotman linked.

To me its the most ridiculous thing about MMA. Why can't part of the sport be be fighting within the rules? As in, that being a desirable and rewarded thing to do? We don't worry about intent in most fouls in most other sports for a reason. The announcers and ref are always so fast to jump in and yell that the ball shot was unintentional (like every eye poke), but, how would they even know? An intentional ball shot or eye poke would look exactly the same as one that isn't. Why not just penalize both, perhaps with an enhanced penalty/immediate DQ in the million-in-one fight where you have a Roddy Piper-esque blatantly intentional foul (which I don't think I've actually ever seen in MMA).

So those two guys in Bellator will fight again I guess, stalling their careers, having to have a whole new camp and all that expense - and the two guys are in exactly the same position as they were before - despite the fact that one was skilled enough to fight within the rules of MMA, and the other was demonstrably not. Should have been a DQ.

Sidenote, I heard Bill Simmons say that MMA is the best sport without fans, and that is definitely true. Even though it's a little more unsettling now. You hear all the pain and agony and thrill of victory and everything else.

Last edited by molson : 09-15-2020 at 08:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote