View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #182
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

April 11, 3040 - Some of our commands are beginning to head out for small and minor contracts. Because the contracts have diminished, we are once again doing them in company lots.

We still have an unresolved question - what to do with the pristine Exterminator. There are four options:

1). Sell it on the open market to the highest bidder. This would make us a ton of money and solve the problem.

2). Keep it and use it in combat. People would not know what to even expect. It’s rare. The stealth systems on it are great. It’s a strong mech. However, we would have very little ability to keep it operational for long. The armor is normal, and the internal structure is normal, so we could replace an arm or something. We could not replace the equipment that is in it, however.

3). Keep it for a rainy day. Perhaps, as technology increases, we’ll get to the point that upkeeping it will be possible, so let’s keep it until then, just in case.

4). Give it to a research lab for them to dissect and use as a way to figure out the technology. As a citizen of the Federated Suns, technically, the obvious place would be the New Avalon Institute of Science, arguably the strongest thinktank in the Inner Sphere. I could give this to them and perhaps they could crack the issue of this.

None of these is an ideal solution. The value of this mech may decrease significantly in 5 or 10 years. We all know that LosTech is slowly and steadily getting put on mechs. New designs are being worked on in every house in order to use the new technology. If I am going to sell it, now is the time. Who knows what it could go for, it has not been seen in the Inner Sphere for 200-250 years, and it has a technology that is not even in the Helm Memory Core. This is rare stuff. If I use it in combat, I feel like I am risking something major each time I take it out. If I hold onto it, I feel like I am missing a window. If I sell it, I feel like I am squandering a resource. If I give it away, I feel like I got rid of something very valuable without any recompense and without knowing it could even be done.

Fine, I’ll keep it for now. I certainly don’t need money right now.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote