View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #253
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

JANUARY 5, 2075

At the beginning of the two-week festival marking 50 years of SPACE history, Director Herbert Duling made the welcoming address to mark the occasion as was his official duty. Much of the speech had the usual flowery language that most statesman reserve espescially for such occasions as this. He was magnimous in the extreme, lauding the contributions of all branches of SPACE and espescially of his predecessors and political rivals. There was more than a bit of rose-colored glasses and revisionist history in all of this. For example, he was hardly going to mention here the still-classified fact that he had seriously considered a coup to remove SPACE's first director, Lena Dungey, as she blundered about with wasteful projects in her third term. Fortunately for himself and humanity, the voters took care of that problem on their own. But this was a time for unity, for celebration, for speaking with one voice.

Such pleasantries having been dispensed with, Duling also sounded a personal note. "As I stand here at the east entrance to USCA(Unified Sol Command & Administration, also known merely as Sector Command), I am reminded of the fact that this building did not even exist 15 years ago. I have been blessed to spend half of my adult life as director of SPACE, but the thing which gives me the most pride and pleasure is not that great priviledge, but the fact that such an office exists at all. Every day this complex is a potent physical reminder of what we have done collectively as a species. We have, through great effort and considerable sacrifice, put aside our divisive past and forged an unbreakable commitment to a unified purpose. We have resolved to never again allow ourselves to believe that self-destructive violence is preferable to finding greater strength in our common future, and have demonstrated that resolve with concrete action. "

Duling then moved on to unveil the plans for the Forrestal III-class sensor boat, the South-Carolina-class Freighter, and the Long Beach-class fuel harvester, all of which would replace their predecessors in those classes. He described also the new Military Modernization Initiative, which had been developed in concert with top military brass. This policy would ensure a reasonable level of operational reliability in official SPACE ships and bases by requiring new construction instead of refitting any time a major change in the specifications was made.

At this point most expected the speech would end and the festivities would resume. Herbert Duling had a suprise for them though. He had the attention of humanity throughout Sol, and didn't intend to waste the opportunity. Besides which, the timing of this had really been determined by science, not himself.

"Since the tragic loss of the Hyperion in the Epsilon Eridani system 18 years ago, we have known that we could no longer capriciously view the galaxy as merely a scientific endeavor or a resource to be used. We have enemies who have declared their intent unambiguously through their actions. There are some who view the fact that they did not follow us into Sol as a sign that they are willing to live and let live -- and believe we should isolate ourselves here, accepting that arrangement. Most of us however, have always known that the day would come when we must honor the hundreds who lost their lives nearly two decades ago in the only fitting way, by resuming our exploration of the surrounding systems in an intelligent and pragmatic way, pursuing peace always but not ceding control of humanity's destiny to anyone but ourselves.

Today it is my duty and priviledge to announce that within two years, the tools to properly fulfill that vision will be within our grasp. Dr. Clint Wyche has labored the better part of a decade on a secret project that I am pleased to make public today: blueprints for advanced geological sensors which will allow us to not only survey astronomical bodies more quickly, but detect the presence of any anomalies on those bodies which may indicate the presence or ruins of alien civilizations. This technology, when available, will enable us to make the most of any exploratory efforts. We must not let fear control us, and we cannot ensure our continued prosperity through the resources of Sol alone. The only responsible choice before us is the exhilirating challenge of expanding our reach into the galaxy with caution and a responsible, humble approach.

What that approach ultimately is will be widely debated in the months and years to come, and it is for that reason I make this announcement today. This decision belongs to all of humanity, and in 2077 your voice will be heard clearly in the candidates you choose with your vote. For now, know that every effort is and will continue to be made to be fully transparent on the options and proposals available to us. "
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote