View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #369
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Well, In-N-Out does have a sort of cult-like following, that's part of the backlash, right? And the fact that they take pride in their very tiny menu gives them a stronger practical defense, I think, than someone like McDonald's who will clearly (and wisely) find menu space for whatever moves product.

As for "why would a vegan want to go to a place like In-N-Out Burger" -- I think there are two answers. First is the specific -- I personally LOVED In-N-Out prior to my dietary change (more than 5 years ago) and I sincerely would be thrilled if I could get the attention to detail they offer their products to something I could/would eat now. If they made a vegan-friendly burger with fresh toppings that was parallel to their outstanding fast food burger -- I'd greedily become a huge fan and customer when I could.
I respect that line of thinking, though I know from chefs some of them have a lot of trouble finding a recipe for tofu-based alternatives that tastes as good, so I could see a place that's somewhat known for higher quality offerings to want to stick to what they do well instead of trying to please everybody.
Quote:
The second is the broader argument. Plant-based dieters are a growing share of the overall market, and it's not unreasonable to ask for growing respect on the menu. If I get a Subway sandwich, I end up basically ordering a "black forest ham and cheese, hold the ham and cheese" but paying full price, since there's no discount (there are several lowest-price subs there, the closest they make to an accommodation is putting double cheese at no charge on your "veggie delite" sandwich).

So... no, I am not mounting a civil right campaign decrying unfair treatment. But I do _want_ Subway to offer falafel (and why the fuck not, by the way) or a vegan friendly protein of some sort. And when i call places in advance to ask about the menu, I usually let them know if I won't be coming there due to my misgivings (lard in the beans, chicken in the rice, I'll get my Mexican food elsewhere).

Maybe some think that makes me an activist/terrorist, but I don't think so. It's just very small-scale agitation for positive change.
This is where you lose me a bit. Not militantly, because like you I just don't care enough about this stuff to protest or seek it out outside of a random thread & thought exercise here, (I went to Subway today, apparently they don't stock Honey Oat bread anymore, which lessens the chance I'll go there in the future but I'm not going to write them a letter), but while I disagree with the backlash that author experienced I don't believe she's honest about her motivations.
Quote:
In 10 years, I expect that 15 percent or more of all meat, dairy, and egg consumption will be plant-based or cultured,” he predicts. “That will have a dramatic positive effect on the health of consumers, the global poor, our climate, and animals — in fact, that will spare about 1.4 billion land animals and more than 2 billion sea animals every single year. This is the single-minded focus on GFI, to accelerate the cultured and plant-based sectors of the market,
If plant-based dieters are such a big segment of the market, then companies will pander to them or new ones will emerge and gain market share. But there are definitely the more militant groups who have ulterior motives that are driving the movement here & creating the backlash. It's nanny statism on a micro scale, so of course there will be push back. And in the end I'll support your right as a potential consumer to fill out comment cards or email them, but at a certain point isn't the answer a healthy large scale chain organically growing instead of trying to jam it into a niche restaurant? (PS I have never been to an In N Out Burger, so didn't realize just how small that menu was until looking now. After seeing it, I'm 100% on their side.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote