View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 08:30 PM   #20
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Can someone tell me WTF Leicester is doing? From a US/casual fan standpoint, nothing makes sense. Following a nice 6-8 year run of top 8-10 finishes, they are the only EPL team not to sign a single player this off-season, all of their best players are rumored to be possibly sold, even to inferior teams in their own league, and now Schmeichel is gone. Why the hell would Vardy want to stay?

Is this just a total reset looking at the future, or are there financial issues offsetting several years of solid finishes? I don't get it. I root for them, and I get parting with aging players, but a total sell-off seems like an unforced error and/or profit-taking.

My educated guess is they need to balance the books. LFC usually makes a big money player sale that helps finance player buys. Riyad Mahrez in 18/19, Harry Maguire in 19/20, and Ben Chillwell in 20/21. Those guys brought in at least $55 million each. Last year the biggest sale brought in a whopping $3.30 million and they only brought in about $4.4 million in total. According to Transfermarkt, Ndidi, Tielmans, and Maddison are valued at $55m or above. My guess is they probably need to sell 2 of those 3 to fund a few incoming transfers.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote