View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 01:38 PM   #43
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
You'll get no argument from me that the owners and directors at United are solely to blame for the shitshow that their squad is... for now. The fact that somehow one of the biggest clubs in the world has multiple positions in which you can argue they don't have a starting option who would be in the top two-thirds of the Prem is unforgivable.

With that being said, managers can adapt their tactics and style to the players available to them. The fact that Ten Haag decided to play McFred in his Ajax tactical framework having seen them in training for months now and how they've played the last few years, he's either making a point to the board or he's just not going to be a success. The options to rebuild a midfield before the transfer window shuts are not currently out there. So he's either going to figure it out and change, or they are going to be in the bottom half of the table and he's not finishing the year out.

I believe he is absolutely making a point. Manchester United brought him in to play the Ajax tactical style and make everyone adapt to him. not for him to adapt to the pieces they currently have. Manchester City did the same for Pep, Liverpool did the same for Klopp, and Spurs did the same for Conte this summer. To use a much smaller club as an example, look at what Burnley did this summer. Vincent Kompany does not set up his team the same way that Sean Dyche did. So when Burnley hired Kompany, the club knew his system was different. The board know they had to get rid of players who only fit Dyche's system and bring in players to fit Kompany's system. The board replaced at least half of last year's squad. Manchester United may need to take a few steps while they get rid of the current dross in the squad and slowly bring in Ten Haag's players. I don't see both of them playing together too much longer since I don't expect Christian Eriksen to be leading the line anymore. But if playing McFred and watching them be terrible gets the board to bring in the players he wants and fits what he is trying to do, that is what he needs to do.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote