View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #555
Radii
Head Coach

So yeah... About that Depth Chart

Remember a few seasons ago where I was set on a new formation at Woking and then all of a sudden I loaned in two strikers that looked like downright superstars (Constantino was one) and at the last minute i totally changed my formation and plans for the season?

New Loan

I already signed MC Paulo and felt pretty good about things, happy to have a current star (Donnelly) and a guy I'm comfortable with in the midfield. But in my searches I find another guy who I believe is good enough to bring in if I can and work the formation around him. He's willing to come play for Ipswich this year. Welcome 21 y/o MC Bryan Bennett to Ipswich. The media report introducing Bennett says that he has been labeled "the next Frank Lampard".

Bennett's Pace is 13, Agility 13, Stamina 16. All other Physical Attributes are 14. Determination 17, Teamwork 17, Work Rate 16, Creativity 14, Off the ball 14. Other mental attributes mostly lie in the 11-13 range. Decisions 8, Aggression 8, everything else is up there.

Technically he's solid all over. Passing 13, Marking 13, Tackling 12, Technique 17, Crossing 15, First Touch 14. Every technical attribute except heading (9) and Long Throws (2) are above 11.

My scouts believe he'll be a superstar at this level. I believe he may very well instantly be the best player on the team. He'll certainly be a key player and every day starter.

Formation Changes

Gone is the 4-4-1-1 formation. In is the 4-1-2-1-2. 4 defenders, DMC, 2 MC, 1 AMC, two ST. This change forces Berthet to start at DR instead of MR. He's a natural at both and I expect him to do very well in defense, but his skills are very slightly more tailored for the midfield. We offset this negative with the positive that young striker Rob Lewis will get to start at forward along with star Matthew Khan.

Paulo is a natural DMC. So the plan is to start Paulo at DMC and Donnelly/Bennett at MC. Donnelly, Coutts and Alex Bruce can all play DMC as well, so our depth and coverage there is just fine.

New Projected Starting Lineup

GK: Murphy
D: Kirkland/Brown/Bruce/Berthet
DMC: Paulo
MC: Donnelly/Bennett
AMC: Gordon
ST: Khan/Lewis

Transfer Changes

I was going to sell off aging ST Danny Graham, a rotation player who makes $12,000/wk, when I was going with a lineup of just one striker. Now that I'm going to run two strikers Graham will see the pitch and retains his value to the team. But now, we aren't going to need those super weak left midfielders, Rossi and Walters. Both are 33 y/o, have very little value, and combine to make over $20,000/wk. I offer them both away for free. That would get me under budget with a little room to work.

Friendly #2

We travel to Brighton. In the 3rd minute Donnelly finds Gordon open for an easy goal. Great pass by Donnelly though. 35th minute Donnelly to Bennett who puts a ball through perfectly to Lewis for our 2nd goal. Brighton gets one back in the 40th minute on a rebound. We sub everyone out that we can at the half and the second half is scoreless.

Brighton 1 : 2 Ipswich

New Record

It doesn't involve me but I just happened to see it and laughed my ass off:

"The attendance of 80 in the Cosmos vs Spora match is a new record low for the European Champions Cup"

Cosmos is in San Marino, Spora in Luxembourg. Not a lot of people in those areas I suppose.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote