View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #559
Radii
Head Coach

-- Sheffield United in the EPL are rumored to be interested in our DL Stuart Kirkland. Our defensive Icelandic loaner will take the starting job from him this year(Kirkland is an 18 year old kid still) but I'm not exactly looking to sell him.

Transfer Out

ML and deep bench striker Jonathan Walters was recently offered to clubs again on a free transfer, as our formation change made ML unnecessary and our desire to get the 34 year old's salary off the books was key. Walters finds a deal with Championship side Middlesborough this time around (if you'll remember he got offers the last time I tried this but couldn't come to an agreement on a contract). If i was attached to this club at all yet this would be really tough. Walters played at Portman Road for 11 seasons, posing a career average 6.79 rating, scoring 42 goals and making 15 assists in a couple hundred matches. He played 25 matches or less in each of the last 7 years though, last year only playing 8 times. His time had clearly come.

Budget Update

This is the last player I intend to sell. Our current payroll is now $252,699/wk, a full $21,000/wk under budget. This gives us a good deal of flexibility. Now that we're under budget we actually do have a small bit of freedom, we've got a transfer budget of $1.1 Million. I badly need to find a backup keeper, and really with a keeper that will turn 35 before the end of the season should perhaps look for the keeper of the future with the breathing room we've now been given.

August 12th, 2017

Plymouth @ Ipswich

Both teams have new coaches making their first league appearance. We are even money favorites at home compared to Plymouth's 11:5. Outside of Ipswich's one year in the EPL we've been playing each other since the start of the game. Ipswich holes an 8-2-4 series lead, scoring 28 and allowing 20 goals. Plymouth finished 14th in the Championship last year. They've been here since the 04/05 season, once avoiding relegation by one place 3 years in a row, and only once finishing in the top 10.

===================================================
-- I love building up a history in these games. I loved that Woking team. I know I made the right decision to leave, but as I open up the text file I use to report on games I'm greeted by the last game I coached for Woking. Here's one last look at the names of my last Woking starting lineup. we'll look in on Woking some of course, but deleting this and replacing it with my new guys is a big "moving on" moment.

GK: Lynch
D: Nikolaou/Smith/Marc/Ogogo
MC: Upson/Paulo
AM: Colin/N'Guessan
FC: Harsanyi/Constantino
====================================================

-- Paulo picked up an injury in training, I thought he would be back for the opener and didn't bother mentioning it. But he's not, so Paul Coutts starts at DMC today.

GK: Murphy
D: Gudmundsson/Brown/Bruce/Berthet
DMC: Cotts
MC: Donnelly/Bennett
AMC: Gordon
ST: Khan/Lewis

Standard mindset in our opener.

1': They shoot first, a cross comes in from the right, a header over the bar.

3': A cross in from the left for Plymouth, headed behind for a corner. We clear, they send it back in but Murphy picks it up.

5': Our first shot is a weak 30 yard effort from Rob Lewis. Its on target but no pace behind it at all.

8': After some buildup Khan receives a pass out left, outside the penalty area, he runs into the area, jukes a defender and gets in position for a great shot, but its saved and turned back for a corner. A great individual effort to control the ball past a couple defenders in the area to generate a shot. The corner is taken by Donnelly, Bruce is at the near side of the 6 yard area, 3 defenders are around, Bruce goes up for a header and beats the keeper!! But uh... there's a deflection, a half save.. somthing.. along the way and Bruce doesn't get credit after all. Our first goal of the year is an own goal. 1-0

11': They get it to foward Mackie 20 yards from the goal, Brown takes a bad angle to him, he goes right around him, Bruce isn't there and he has a free run at goal and puts a shot by Murphy... Brown doesn't officially take the blame there but it was his man in that spot. 1-1

19': Bruce picks up a bit of an injury, he can stay on but he's a bit slowed.

23': We have a throwin in their end, its taken to Berthet, he makes a run down the right side towards the area, plays a cross in, they clear it out but it was a great effort by Berthet to try to make something happen.

47': Just one shot for a long long time here. Plymouth attacks at the end of the half, there's a shot from 20 yards out that Murphy has to make a nice dive to save. They recover it out wide right and cross it back in but Murphy goes out and catches the cross. The notable thing here is that at some point during this our star striker Matthew Khan got hurt. Murphy kicks it out to stop play and get Khan treatment. He can stay in but its a legit injury. We'll see after the match.

HALF: Each team attacks pretty hard here, we each shoot 8 times, we've got 4 on target, 3 for them. 9 of teh 16 shots are from long range, but those shots look much scarier at this level and I can clearly see stronger keeper play to get to some of this stuff. We've got a 57/43 edge in possession. Other stats are pretty even.

51': They have a throw pretty deep in our end. There's a pass into the crowded area and they get a man to it for a powerful shot that went just wide... if that was on target no one in the world could stop it.

62': We give up two corners, both on shots that are blocked... 3rd one is cleared out by Bennett.

65': DL Kirkland in for DC Bruce who got hit a couple times out there today and is slowed. Kirkland out to DL, Gudmundsson moves to DC.

69': Plymouth are definitely in control this half, we've taken 2 shots, they are getting every offensive highlight and constantly putting the ball into the area, lots of corners... but no luck so far.

78': backup ST Jon Stead in for Rob Lewis who hasn't played great today.

80': Lets go out and attack and try to get a win at home here.

89': Corner for Plymouth after we block a cross behind. They take the corner to the far post, Murphy dives out for it and can't get to it, their man Atikinson is there and wins a header over Bennett to put the ball into the empty net. 1-2

Tough finish today.

Ipswich 1 : 2 Plymouth

We only shoot 4 times in the second half with 1 on target. Plymouth shot 10 times and really pressured us all half. One of their midfielders is man of the match.

Assist: Bruce (6.9)
Notables: Murphy (7.1)

We had a few 6.4 and 6.5 ratings, AMC Gordon, ST Lewis both struggled out there, as did Paul Coutts at DMC.

Holy Crap Really?

-- following Ipswich's 1-2 defeat against Plymouth, fans are starting to question their head coach's tactics.

Tractor Boys boss Richard Dixon seems reluctatnt to consider changing his approach and an unwillingness to experiment could spell trouble if his team's performances do not improve. OUCH.

-- We drew 23,414 fans in our first match.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote