View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #578
Radii
Head Coach

October 7th, 2017

Ipswich(6-3-2, 3rd) @ Norwich(4-3-3, 13th)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Anglian_derby - This is our biggest rival and apparently its a well known rivalry, a publication referenced in the wiki called it the "second biggest rivalry in England" though I'm really not clear by what measure. Its enough to make me want to make sure we win here!

We're 5:4 favorites today, Norwich are slim 7:4 dogs at home. Norwich fell back into League 1 for awhile so there isn't a huge history here, we're 2-2-0 lifetime against them. I attend this press conference myself (something I don't normally do anymore) and end up answering about 10 questions about the rivalry and pressure considering this is the biggest game of the year for most Ipswich fans. Good stuff! This is a televised game as well.

GK: Murphy
D: Kirkland/Brown/Bruce/Berthet
DMC: Paulo
MC: Donnelly/Bennett
AMC: Gordon
ST: Lewis/Constantino

Danny Hoesen and Tom Adeyemi both have 3 goals for Norwich to lead them so far, these are their wide midfielders. Ishmael Miller is their leading striker with 2 goals. Bruce/Brown are back as starters in defense after some rotation, and Rob Lewis starts for the injured Matthew Khan. Standard mindset on the road here.

5': After they take an early wild long shot we manage the first one on target, Donnelly hits Bennett who shoots from 20 yards out, its a nice strong shot but the keeper makes the save.

19': Berthet has it near midfield setting up our offense. He has the ball taken away, they counter attack and earn a corner. We're able to clear it out, that was a bit scary though giving the ball away there.

44': We give up a corner, they take it with a cross to the far end of the 6 yard box, they get a good look at a header but its too high.

47': Bennett takes the ball away from a defender at midfield, we've got a chance at a break here, he gets it to Constantino who sprints down the right side with the ball, he comes into the area and we've got a few men there, Constantino tries to pass it across the face of the goal, they have a man there to intercept it... but it botches it and its just a deflection. Donnelly reacts first and pokes the loose ball into the net!! 1-0

HALF: There was a huge stretch there with no action worth noting at all, then things got exciting in the last couple minutes. We have 5 shots, 4 are on target. They have 8, just 2 on target, we didn't see most of them I don't think. We're tackling really well, heading better than them, and playing reasonably well. We'll set out to defend in the second half with the lead.

47': They are on the attack, there's a cross in, a wide open Norwich man but the cross isn't targeted well and it doesn't go to the open man, we head it away.

62': We work the ball upfield, Donnelly has it 40 yards out, he passes ahead to Gordon who has two defenders pretty close, 20 yards away. He turns and fires a shot between the two defenders and the keeper didn't seem ready at all, its well struck and Gordon puts it in the left half of the net!!! 2-0

80': Gudmunddson is in for Gordon, he's moved to DC and we go to a 5-1-2-2 to finish it out.

88': We're fighting over the ball in the midfield, they have a cross come in from a good 40 yards away out right... Brown misses a header to clear it out and midfielder Danny Hoesen heads it by Murphy to give them one last chance here. 2-1

We put away the last few minutes.

Norwich 1 : 2 Ipswich

Man of the Match: Gordon Donnelly (8.0)
Goals: Donnelly, Gordon (7.2)
Assists: Donnelly, Constantino (6.8)

Our entire defense was sitting around a 7.2 rating but that goal we gave up dropped them all down to 6.8-6.9. Its a solid road win over our arch rivals on TV, go Ipswich!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote