View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #579
Radii
Head Coach

World Cup Qualifying

We don't play for two weeks as the final games of group play finish up in the Europe World Cup Qualifying stage.

Belgium, Portugal, Turkey, Czech Republic, Spain, Germany, Holland, Poland, and England qualify by winning their groups.

The second place teams still left will play in November to fill the final four spots:

Croatia vs Italy
France vs Switzerland
Romania vs Wales
Scotland vs Greece

Serbia, the 2014 surprise runner up behind France, fails to qualify.

In North America, Mexico, Jamaica and Honduras qualify for the world cup. The US is hosting in 2018 so they get an automatic spot.

In South America Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Peru qualify. Colombia and Guatemala will play for the last spot there. Paraguay, the 2010 winners at the very beginning of this dynasty, failed to qualify.

October 21st, 2017

Leicester(7-4-1, 2nd) @ Ipswich(7-3-2, 4th)

We'd been a game up on many teams and fell to 4th. We're 6:4 favorites, they're 13:8, basically the same. We have a really long, evenly matched history with Leicester, 4-8-3 lifetime. We are way on the better end of this over the past few years, we haven't lost to them in the last 7 matches, going 3-4-0.

GK: Murphy
D: Kirkland/Brown/Bruce/Berthet
DMC: Paulo
MC: Donnelly/Bennett
AMC: Gordon
ST: Khan/Constantino

Paul Gallagher for Leicester leads them with 6 goals, Andy Carroll has 4 for them. Khan is back in the lineup today. Standard mindset today.

2': We quickly build up and Gordon takes a shot from 20 yards out, not a bad effort but it drifts just a bit high.

12': midfielder Cia picks up a yellow for Leicester.

17': Leicester build up nicely and get into the area, we tackle it behind, and are able to clear out their corner easily.

22': I change to a counterattacking strategy. They are running a 3-5-2 formation and have 8 men back every time we go forward... that doesn't seem like its going to work.

HALF: Well that pretty much killed any action... We've got 8 shots but I didn't see many of them. Only 2 are on target and nothing looked promising at all. Leicester has 3 shots, all off target too. We've got a 63/37 possession edge and it seems like they're basically playing for a draw here. I'd hate to risk the loss here but we're at home, I think we need to go out and attack and try to break them down, so we'll do that in the second half.

47': Yellow for midfielder Wesolowski, that's the second foul i have seen, bout time!

53': Gordon receives a pass 20 yards out and takes the best shot we've had today, the keeper has to dive to save it and turn it behind, a decent effort there. They clear the corner though.

57': We get 4... yes that's 4... corner kicks in a row without taking a shot before they clear it away.

66': We give up a free kick near the penalty area. They take a shot and its fairly close, but wide left.

76': They earn a free kick wide to the right of the penalty area, its crossed in, Paulo heads it out but they have a man set up 30 yards away, its their leading scorer Paul Gallagher and he recovers the header, fires a shot and its in the right side of the net and by Murphy. 0-1

84': We try to get something going on offense, numerous attempts to get it into the area for a shot... finally a cross from Kirkland, header by Bennett... its saved by the keeper and cleared away.

85': Coutts in for Gordon, Walker in for Paulo and up to MC, a little more aggressive formation.

91': We continue to press but there aren't even shots here to be had... they get a breakaway, a ball is played long to one of their forwards, Walker misses a tackle, there's a shot, Murphy can't get to it, but its off the right post and cleared away. We try to attack again quickly. Its played forward to Constantino, he's down the right side, the defense is still back but its perhaps not set as perfectly. Constantino crosses in, they clear it out to the left, the ball falls right to Kirkland who volleys it back into the area, Khan is out ahead of the defense, volleys it... maybe "redirects" is a more proper description, and the ball hits the keeper and continues on into the net!!! Leicester cry for offsides and I think they may have a case for it, but its an exciting last second tying goal.

Ipswich 1 : 1 Leicester

Man of the Match: Matthew Khan (8.2)
Goal: Khan
Assist: Kirkland (7.1)
Notables: Murphy (7.2), Berthet (7.1), Constantino (7.0)

Maybe we were supposed to break their defense easier than this. We end up with a 65/35 possession edge, 17 shots to their 9, but until that last one we just didn't see many good opportunities and did not have any success getting good looks or finding any openings at all in their defense.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote