Thread: Learned League
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2023, 11:07 AM   #359
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I fell back into the habit of leaving points on the table of late... seeing the right answer and realizing I missed a context clue, or just didn't wait long enough to see if a good answer just emerged. I think doing that stage is, for me, my biggest area of improvement short of actually "studying" just for this purpose.
Patience and knowing what the commish is going for (and picking up on his clues) is huge, IMO. The latter I feel I've gotten good at, the former I still battle with (especially questions that have two ins that you can build possible lists on, and the answer lies at the intersection of them).

No need to put quotes around "studying" I don't think -- I, for one, absolutely study. Unless you really mean "obsess" which, ok, that's probably fair too.

That's part of why I got out of the FOF game -- I just was not willing to put in the analysis that MalcPow, RKG, Ben were. I could only get so far on "intuition" and it wasn't going to be far enough. LL is a little different where I think you can largely play against yourself and be content. Of course, I really wanted to beat myself, so I started studying.

At this point I kind of want to see how good I might be able to get. The thing about LL is that a) it is more or less built for middle-aged guys like us, and b) a fair amount of it is going to repeat. It may have been last year, it may have been five years ago, it may have been ten or FIFTEEN years ago, but a lot of questions have been asked before in some form.

That's less true of other trivia outlets, I think, which don't focus on 70s and 80s pop culture quite as much. It's why I am starting to dip my toes into other formats, starting with the OQL Individual "championships." Two hour tests -- not for everybody! But a better gauge of where I might be. The one last weekend I finished two questions and one slot behind J! alum Pam Mueller -- not bad! Of course, my 158 was WAY behind the leader's (and former LL champ's) 195, so still quite a ways to go. Never mind the World Quizzing Championships, where that same guy finished second for North America participants at 152 -- to (chaser) V. Groce's 172 (Pam finished with 107; our I assume that's our A Hint rundle mate Christopher King who totaled 111). Now, "The Queen's" stated goal was to become the best quizzer in the world; I know I won't nearly approach that. But I think there is still room for some improvement.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 06-28-2023 at 11:53 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote