View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #3548
whomario
Pro Starter

Representive Austrian antibody study found it in 0.33% of people never registered as covid cases btw which indicates indicates 2/3 undetected (9k cases, assumed 28k actually infected) or a 1% mortality rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I may have missed it earlier but have they officially determined that herd immunity is possible with this virus? I've read that it is, but I've also read that a good percentage of people who were infected didn't have any antibodies after they recovered, or had a very low count.

If herd immunity is possible, then that's great and will help us get closer to the old norms sooner.

One limited scope study so far found low antibody counts. May be significant, may be not.

The problem remains that there seems no way to aim for herd immunity before a vaccine unless a lot of things fall into place as far as treatment is concerned or you are fine with 400k dead (and all that entails, including permanetly overrun hospitals and doctors offices and doctors and nurses burning out) instead of 100k between now and then ...
Herd Immunity within the year is not a good outcome.

And that number is for an unrealistic and somhow, despite overloaded hospitals, consistent 0.2 mortality (Influenza) and assumes more young people getting it.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-10-2020 at 04:20 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote