View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 12:50 AM   #512
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

This last bit is a week late, but nothing changes much in the first week of the year anyway.

Generational Overview

I wanted to take a quick look at the elite group(Top 32) and how it breaks down by the age segments because there's some interesting stuff going on. Where to put a player can be a little fuzzy in a few cases, but in general there tends to be a new 'wave' every 2 or once in a while 3 years.

** The Really Old Guys(2) -- Bjorn Benda(10th) and Cestmir Marcek(25th) are the only members of this group; both are 33.

** The Old Guard(6) -- This is headlined by Antonin Iglar(2nd) and Anil Mehul(4th), both at age 31. Others at 30+ are Gaskell(9th), Thiago Herrera(13th), Federer(20th), and Condon(22nd). A half-dozen, meaning that 8 of the Top 32, exactly a quarter, is 30 or above.

** Generation Flash(7) -- Girish Girsh(1st) headlines what is now the ruling class. Caratti is 3rd, followed by Kinczllers(5th), Poilblan(7th), Trulsen(14th), Alberti(18th), and Xavier Caminha(26th).

** In Their Prime(5) -- Theodore Bourdet(6th) is enough younger to justify putting him in the next category, along with Agustin Herrera(11th), Andronikov(15th), McCuskey(17th), and Andre Herrera(27th). One of the reasons we're in a weak era right now is that there just isn't a whole lot here.

** Mooljee & Co.(11) -- Prakash Mooljee(8th)'s got next, and some are coming with him. Ujjaval(12th) is a little older but still fits best here. Also Cirakovic(17th), Srbulovic(19th), Niklas(21st), Zakirov(24th), Browne(27th), Benitez(29th), Jurco(30th), Ljaljevic(31st), Santos(32nd). A full third of the top group still has a year and most of them quite a bit more than that until they reach their peak.

A sea change is about to occur. I don't know how many of the young players will become legitimate challengers, but one's things for sure: the Top 10-20 will be a lot deeper with at least good to very good players in a couple years. Mooljee's group, impressive as it is, is only part of this. Luc Janin hangs out at 25th, too young to really fit in that generation. And there is a massive group pushing it's way up -- frankly I'm glad none of my players have to deal with it. Everyone from 29th through 46th, 18 competitors in a row, is in the 20-25 age bracket. Many are 22-23, having 3-4 years left of improvement ahead of them. Mooljee appears to be the head of a very large snake, and it'll be interesting to see how long he can stay at the top once he gets there with all of this talent coming up with him, and others like Janin behind him. Italian Gabriele Guareschi, 46th and just 20 years old, will likely be heard from in the future.

When this mass of players is at their peak, Ritwik Dudwadkar will be poised to smash his head into their collective wall. Not really looking forward to that ...
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote