View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #12
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

1 March, 1458 – Morocco heads to peace.

Because us and Castile are junior partners, we can’t force what Morocco gives.

This is what Morocco takes:

2 holdings from Sus.
Sus remains vassal
The Canaries from Castile which they captured

Cold hard cash

They give us Cordoba and Cadiz. There was enough warscore for Sevilla as well, or others, but they instead took two Sus holdings instead for themselves. Still, I like seeing the Canaries and Cordoba/Cadiz in our hands.

This is a great time for a map of the area.

I disband my mercs

MAP

Here you can see Morocco and our expansions in the various areas.

I really do see Tunis, Morocco and us as, potentially, a triangle alliance of growing Muslim powers. We have gained three holdings, Morocco three as well as annexed their vassal Marrakech, and Tunis has expanded as well.

Now, why did we win this war? Everything Castile did was by the book. Supporting a four province Sus in the south, near the Canarias? That makes sense. And when Sus goes independent, it’s just a five province Granada, Tlemcen, and Morocco that’s holding you. Why were you unable to win? Why were you unable to throw your weight around? What happened?

Two things. Math, and positioning.

Let’s do math. Here is our main army – 10k – 7k infantry, 3k cavalry. I purchased 5k mercs inntially and then another 5k with Aragonese funding That gave me another 10k.

Just 20k

Castile had two armies of 20 and 20k each. Our general was the….5th best general or admiral we know of according to our ledger, and spain avoiding a head on confrontation early with two 20k armies as they didn’t match up. We got the 15k Tlemcen forces that quickly arrived and joined my combined 20k force to bring us to 35k and then Morocco committed it’s full force as soon as the south fell, and that was just one siege and the rest quick un-forted land. We had numbers.

We had positing.

Our allies could cross the strait despite naval dominance from Castile because I controlled both sides. I had forts in Sebtah in the south and in Malaga in the north that protects Jabal Tariq. You couldn’t cross without loading and landing a navy while we could cross. Positioning helped as well! Without Sebtah, they couldn’t have crossed through enemy territory with Portugal. Sebtah, in Africa, opened up everything else.

Alright, next?

Remember that we will be using the Arabic name for this holding now that they have been returned to Allah’s hand.

Qadis – Drylands, Natural Harbor, Naval Supplies, Andalusian holding, 12 development, Catholic, core ordered here, and 75% autonomy with 31 unrest. 0.09 cash monthly made.

Qurtuba – Wool, Drylands, 10 development, Andalusian, Catholic, 0.07 made here.

I fabricate claims on Jaen and Murcia.

I name Castile as our rival.

Castile minus these three minor areas is not going to be a major loss. But if I can get Sevilla in a future war, then things will change and they will be hurt.

I order more soldiers.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote