Thread: White Privilege
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

White Privilege

I have been thinking a lot about this lately. I remember reading a story (here?) or somewhere about a black guy taking his white subordinate to lunch and privilege was the discussion. The boss had his ID checked for his CC purchase while the white guy didnt and so on and so forth. That was an eye opening story for me. I didnt really understand white privilege until I read this. I wasnt really sure what this was about. Just what comedians talked about and how the liberals bitched about it.

But as I think, What is White Privilege? I cannot tell people how to treat me, so is it my fault I am treated differently? Just like a black man cannot tell a person how to treat him. Is it his fault?

Is it privilege? Is it latent racism? Or is it cultural? Or is it protecting your rac? What is it?

I have never quite understood the whole White Privilege thing. But I have been raised in a pretty white culture. A college town in Iowa where the black folks were mostly athletes. Then a couple rural towns in Missouri where it is 95% white. I did teach at a school North of Chicago for a year where it was 85% latino, 10% black and the rest was the rest.

My wife was the only person in her class that was white and felt like she was being targeted by the admin in her building who was not white. I never felt that way. I felt pretty comfortable. And we had 3rd generation crips and bloods. Plus the Latino crowd.

So if I cannot help how I am treated how can this be considered privilege?

I know I am going to take a ton of shit for this as I am the whipping boy for the liberal crowd here. But I am really curious how it can be privilege if you have no control over how another person treats you?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote