View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #54
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – SEC Season 2009-2010

Actually the Tide did have one more non-conference game (oops missed it), and Victory’s bunch comes out on top – 62-59 over Nebraska. Of course, the Huskers are about like ‘Bama. Both may be good in football, but both are struggling mightily on the hardwood.

The Tide faces #4 LSU in its SEC opener and loses as expected 72-54. They bounce back with a pleasing 78-71 win over South Carolina (CRI 73), but that will be the only time Victory’s bunch reaches .500 in the league standings. Alabama loses six of its next seven games and ends SEC play 5-11. Ugg.

There were rays of hope despite all the setbacks. The Tide swept Arkansas 65-60 and 75-59 (relegating the Hogs to the SEC cellar). Maurice Cambridge scored 36 points, and the Tide upset Florida in Gator Country 78-76. UF was just two spots out of the top 25 that week. The final game of the regular season pitted ‘Bama and old rival Auburn. Jimmy McArdle and Cambridge powered the attack, as Alabama prevailed 81-67.

Of course there were big losses as well – 74-44 to #18 Vanderbilt at home, 89-55 to #2 Kentucky at home, 90-68 to Auburn in the first meeting on the road, 92-72 at Mississippi.

“This rebuilding project is going to be tougher than I thought,” Victory confides to a reporter from the Tuscaloosa News. “It may take a few years to even break above .500. I hope the administration can be patient with me.”

Alabama’s season ends on the first day of the SEC tournament. South Carolina, the number seven seed, eliminates the Tide with a 13-point victory.

Bama’s final record: 10-20. To the pessimist such a record, of course, wreaks of “more of the same” from Crimson Tide basketball. To the optimist, like Victory tries to be, the Tide did win one more game than last season, did get to double digits in victories and did manage to finish off the bottom of the SEC standings. But even that is reaching for a coach who wants to win an NCT title some day soon (and for fans tired of watching crappy basketball in Alabama).

“We didn’t, unfortunately, nab a top-20 recruiting class like I had hoped,” Victory says after the final day of signing. “That’s going to be the key to turning things around here in Tuscaloosa. Let’s hope these four dudes overachieve during their four years with us.”
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote