View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Autumn
Head Coach

WW CXLVIII - Ancient Infection - EVIL WINS!

Quote:
"All right, everyone listen up. I know everybody's talking about it, so rather than say it a hundred times, I'm going to explain it once. Yes, I'm the one who smashed the radio. And in fact before I got to that I also scuttled the boats. Yes, Davis, I know that maroons us here. I know that quite well. You can all yell at me when I'm done. But right now you need to understand why I did it. And since there's no way off the island unless you want to take you chance on a dinghy, and no way to contact the mainland, you've got time to listen.

"We're all aware of the incident with Maroney. He almost killed Dr. Davis here, and in fact was killed himself in the struggle. Dr. Mangold investigated the body, and she's reported to me what she found. Maroney had some sort of infection in his blood, not something that any of the medical staff here recognize, but perhaps to blame for his sudden aggression.

"Yes, yes, I understand, that's why we all want to get off the island. But there is more to it than that. As you know Linda was also acting strangely and is under quarantine. Examination of her blood suggests she is suffering from the same ... infection. But more importantly, Dr. Mangold found a wound on her body that might be the site of infection. She says it appears to have been inflicted. It is in fact some sort of bite. Yes, I hear you Davis, another great reason to get off the island. But let me continue. The bite appears to be human.

"Human, folks. And more importantly, Maroney had a similar bite on him. I think as you are all aware, there is nobody but us on this island. As part of the survey that Professor Stern and his team have done, we can be quite sure that we know what is on every square foot of this island. So I am afraid to tell you all that those bites came from one of us. In fact, given that Maroney and Linda were on opposite ends of the island last night, it appears that those bites came from two of us.

Quote:
"I want to tell you one last thing now that I have your attention and your silence. You all aware well aware of the mummy from site 48. It is in fact why we are all here, what many of us have been working our whole professional lives for. A fantastic find, a beautiful find really. You're all aware of that because I know each one of us has visited the pit and looked at it ourselves.

"Which makes what I have to say particularly troublesome. Today I went out, despite the work halt, and looked at the excavation, at our amazing mummy. What yesterday was an amazingly preserved specimen of prehistoric man is today a set of half rotted clothing and some dust. There is hardly a sign that it was there.

Quote:
"Those of us who have been studying the tablets and the writings of these ancient people may recall the curious drawings of a creature moving from one form to another: mouse, wolf, woman, man. I think that mummy has assumed the form of one of us. And it has the ability to do something to the rest of us. Change us. You can call me crazy, you can curse me for sinking the boats. But there is no way I am letting any one of us leave this island until whatever this thing is has been taken care of.

"Unfortunately that won't be easy. Doctors Davis and Mangold are working with the blood sample from Linda to see if they can cure this infection. Professor Davis and I are studying the tablets we had uncovered for clues to the nature of this ... thing. In the meantime I am afraid we can't trust any one of us. I don't want to see anyone in a group of less than three. Keep an eye on your coworkers, even your friends. Some among us don't belong here. And unless I'm sure every single one of them is gone, we will live out the rest of our short, miserable days right here on this island.

Last edited by Autumn : 06-22-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote