View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #70
Izulde
Head Coach

So really, I'm at a loss as to what to do to try and fix this team. We don't appear to be really weak in any specific area, other than a lack of consistency. On the other hand, we don't really have any good inside scorers either, so I sign C Jarron Collins out of free agency to try and give us a boost in that area. The 31 year old played in 2007 and 2008 with the Utah Jazz as a respectable benchman and I think it's time he made his D-league debut.

He slots in as our new 8th man and our first big man off the bench. I hope it portends good things.

Results are initially promising as we beat Bakersfield 95-85 and Albuquerque 87-70 on consecutive nights for our first games in the new year. The Otters go down to six Mammoths in double-digit scoring, B.J. Whitehead the man of the match with a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds. Whitehead also trips up the Golden Birds for 19 points, conspiring with Kenneth Holland, our new starting C, who double-doubled with 12 points and 12 rebounds. Holland was the Spurs first round pick in the draft and San Antonio apparently decided he needed more seasoning. Fine by us.

Colorado goes down 90-73 the next game as Nick Sanders scores 18 points from the bench and B.J. Whitehead double-doubles with 11 points and 10 rebounds. The Utah Sixer is really starting to show signs of a quality player in a Mammoths uniform.

Our win streak and my enhanced happiness continues with back-to-back wins over Anaheim (93-86) and Los Angeles (92-75). Seth Chambliss, who finally wrestled away the starting PG spot, lit the Cats up for 15 points, 11 assists and 6 rebounds, Ken Johnson his second man with 14 points and 8 boards from the bench. The Waves were primarily crashed by Renaladas Seibutis, who scored 14 for the second unit and who's really been hot lately.

Oh, how sweet is! Austin 82 Sioux Falls 76. Seth Chambliss double-doubles with 15 points and 13 assists, Ken Johnson doing likewise with 12 points and 13 rebounds as he continues to knife through opposing subs. Remind me to send a thank-you note to the Spurs for sending me Kenneth Holland.

Again the Otters go down, 96-89, as once again six Mammoths hit double-digit points, the key player Kenneth Holland with 13 points and 10 rebounds. I'd like to say it was my Jarron Collins signing that jump-started this amazing win streak, but it'd be a lie, as Collins as been chained to the end of the bench after his first couple games. It's really been the gift from San Antonio and the coach's finally wising up and starting my boy Seth Chambliss at the point that's done it.

A critical doubleheader against Tulsa is up next and of course we drop both ends to the Tejanos, 81-75 and 96-92. Seth Chambliss scored 20 in Game 1 and Kenneth Holland had 14 points and 12 rebounds in Game 2, but we fell just short both nights. Irritating.

After a nice, long rest, we get back on track with a 104-71 blowout of Colorado as six Mammoths score double-digits, the real Timberjack-slayer in the form of Nick Sanders, who scored a dizzying 17 bench points.

The reserves carry us again in an 87-76 victory over Arkansas, Mackel Greenleaf and Renaldas Seibutis with 10 points a piece, Ken Johnson topping them by a bucket for 12. At least we're a deep squad.

January ends with an infuriating 91-84 loss to Idaho. The Buckaroos continue to be my bane in the D-League as our bench, which played so wonderfully last game, takes the night off in this contest.

So where has our great play put us? Why, still in third place at 16-10! Just one stinking game away from the co-leaders Sioux Falls and Tulsa, but only a single game in front of Arkansas. Yeah, the D-League East is that tight this year.

Not so close in the West, where Idaho's 16-10 record is good enough for first place, the Sea Dogs of Los Angeles (I accidentally called them the Waves earlier) half a game back. Anaheim, much to my smug satisfaction, is last at 9-19.

I said I'd do two months in this update so onward we go, despite the fact that the mosquitos biting me are annoying me even more than our still being in third place. Thanks, alkie brother, for leaving the bloody door open all day even though I told you to just turn on the air conditioning and shut the door!

GOD DAMN IT!

A doubleheader to open the short month to Bakersfield and the Otters beat us twice! 88-68 and 108-100. We all sucked in the first game, but in the second, Seth Chambliss had 21 points and 10 assists and Nick Sanders, Renaladas Seibutis and Brandon Hunter all scored 10+ points from the bench and we -still- freaking lost!

Here's a little more salt in the wounds. Oh wait, make that a giant freaking heap right in the bloody raw... 93-69 loss to the Rattlers. We're now in fourth place.

I react by firing my entire coaching staff.

Goodbye Quin Snyder, Roy Rogers, Scott Faust and Francis Gorman.

Say hello to Jeff Van Gundy, welcome back as the 1st assistant Quin Snyder, Dave Hanners and John Kuester. Sorry you have to slum it here in the D-Leagues, Mr. Van Gundy, but if you have to do it, then so do I!

The ship's righted 99-82 over Colorado, but the Timberjacks aren't a good team. Nonetheless, Rodney White scores 22 points and dishes out 8 assists to get us the victory.

Oh yeah, the first starting 5 of the new regime.

PG Mackel Greenleaf
SG Keith Davis
SF Rodney White
PF B.J. Whitehead
C Brandon Hunter

Why Hunter? Because Kenneth Holland is nursing a sprained toe.

100-75 win over Sioux Falls and all of a sudden, I'm looking like a genius for changing up the staff. Keith Davis sets a team high with 29 points and B.J. Whitehead is right behind with 26 points as people are absolutely flourishing in Jeff Van Gundy's system. Oh yeah, Aaron Gray scored 12 points off the bench.

The easy victories keep coming as we smash the Colonials of Fort Worthless 97-59 on Keith Davis's 23 points. Aaron Gray contributes 12 from the bench again but Renaldas Seibutis betters him with 15 points.

Another big doubleheader is up next....and we win both! 92-80 over Fort Worth and most importantly, 100-83 over Tulsa!!!! Keith Davis continues his otherworldly takeover with 29 points in Game 1 and B.J. Whitehead joins the 20 point club with exactly that, 20. Seven Mammoths hit double-digit scoring to topple the Tejanos, our team leader in scoring once again Keith Davis, albeit with a more modest 17. Nick Sanders, Larry Gilbert and Brandon Hunter were our double-digit benchmen with 11, 10 and 10 points respectively. B.J. Whitehead double-doubled with 12 points and 12 rebounds.

That's our final game of the month and with it, we've pole-vaulted back into third with a 21-13 record, 1.5 games behind Sioux Falls and a full game behind the Arkansas Rattlers. On the plus side, we're a game and a half up on Tulsa, thanks to just beating them.

It's Bakersfield and Idaho fighting for top seed in the West, the Otters a half-game over the Buckaroos right now.

Despite Keith Davis's torrential shooting since Jeff Van Gundy's hiring, he's only up to 11.1 ppg average. But on the other hand, Mackel Greenleaf is second in assists per game with 5.6.

Moving on to the NBA (finally, no doubt some of you are saying), it's a shocking year in the East, as seven teams have .+500 records, including an actual winning team atop the Southeast with a 29-25 mark. What isn't surprising is that it's the Charlotte Bobcats on top, who have had a stranglehold on that division for the entireity of this universe.

As expected, the Chicago Bulls currently lead the East with a 40-14 record, though the Raptors are close behind at 39-17. Well, close behind in wins, anyway.

Schadenfreude moment: The New York Knicks are 17-40. New Jersey, much to my disgruntlement, is a respectable 28-29.

Over in the West, it's the same old song of Houston and Phoenix, the Rockets 48-9, the Suns 44-13. The conference overall is down this year, with seven teams holding winning records, an astonishing parity with the East. Even more curious, Phoenix is the only team in the Pacific with a record above .500. Second-place belongs to the Lakers, who are 24-31.

Bizzare NBA indeed.

Michael Redd leads the NBA with 33 points a game, but King James is averaging 32.1 and Dwayne Wade is in the 30+ club with 30.6.

Steve Nash and Baron Davis are the only two players with double-digit assist averages right now, with 10.3 and 10 even respectively. Greg Oden tops the league in boards per game with an even 14. Your friend and mine Andrei Kirilenko continues to be the only man in the NBA who averages 4 blocks a game with 4.1. Allen Iverson and Gerald Wallace are the top ballthieves with 2.2 steals per game, followed by Ron Artest with a 2, that like a lot of stats right now, is even.

All in all, I'd say we're playing extremely well right now.

But an ominious thing happened as February drew to a close.

Seth Chambliss was once again signed by an NBA team.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote