View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #66
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Week 3: Greens vs Purples.

Here’s the Purples team:

If you remember the draft, the Purples were trying to break the game engine with their selections. It was nice to see that nothing out of the ordinary happened during the game! No crashes, bugs, or weird glitches!

Now, for the game itself….

This was a tight one, which I actually thought I’d lost. I don’t get to see the score until after my 15 minute timer goes off because I don’t have an in-game interface for that stuff yet. (We won 42-35 in 76 plays) RB Tudor absolutely dominated. He started slow, but then was unstoppable as he went for 262 yds and 4 TD on 22 carries. After the first 2 possessions, I wrote a note in my log to take a look at inside running plays because they seemed like they never worked. I ran a few more inside running plays, to try and see what was going on… 16 yards, 12 yards, 8 yards, 20 yards and the Purples are at the 2. Next play up the middle ->TD.

O.M.G.

To be clear, it wasn’t all Tudor. The inside blocking was insane. The strength of the Purples OL was making massive holes, even when I ran a 3 DL front. I just couldn’t stop it.

Unfortunately for the Purples, that was it. They had no passing game and no return game at all.

We had a much better offense this time. Thurber threw 6/14 for 270 and 4 TD, 1Int. MUCH better than the previous 2 games. His speedy target Jarmon finally got to break free from coverage and make some plays. 5 rec for 198 yds and 3 TD (plus 2 drops)

Tolliver couldn’t match Tudor and only managed 52 yds on 9 carries. 🙁

The other thing you might remember about the Purples is that they were the only team that drafted for special teams coverage. It made a difference. Urquhart’s line really suffered, considering how many opportunities he got.

5 KR for 183 yds and 1 TD, 3 PR for 31 yds.

Yikes!

Urquhart had 8 chances and only housed 1???

Now for the notes:
  1. I need to have an in-game interface for down/dis and score. It’s such a pain to have to pause to look it up.
  2. Pancakes need to get tracked in the stats
  3. QB scrambling still isn’t right. The Purples QB only scrambled once. He should have been running all over. I need to revamp how that works.
  4. There are way too many dropped passes. It might be a combination of the formulas, or the player ratings being too low. Either way, there are far too many open passes dropped.
  5. I’m also noticing that almost every scoring play comes from someone breaking free and running 20+ yards. That makes sense, given that we’re playing with 8 on a side, but maybe it means we should shorten the field. It’s starting to feel like the last 20 yards on each end of the field are just there for breakaways.
  6. I added 2 more max protect pass plays, and they worked out nicely. Now I need to add a few more running plays to mix it up.

That’s it for Week 3! It went really well, and is starting to feel like a football game.

To be attempted before the next game
  • Fix the kick return catching glitch
  • Really look into the QB scrambling system
  • Dig into the dropped passes
  • Track pancakes
  • In-game interface for down/dis/score
  • Add more running plays

For later:
  • Depth chart refresh
  • New camera control
  • Figure out what to do about blocks being too effective. (guys not breaking free of blocks)
  • Look at shrinking the field size to reduce the breakaway running time.