View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #87
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The campaign mode would get awfully complex -- the need to account for not only skill development but actual physical growth at a considerably larger scale than needed for higher levels/older players, just for one thing -- but seeing the players laid out more as athletes (that you had to determine how to utilize) instead of players with fairly well-defined positions/roles, it fit perfectly with a discussion I had a few days ago about how one of the real challenges at small/medium sized high schools (think: rosters of 30-60 players) was figuring out how to allocate talent to each side of the ball*. Then on top of that, how much/how little to use players on both sides of the ball once their primary roles are set. It's not unusual to have your best QB also be your most capable LB and no worse than your second best RB ... but at the price of fatigue, increased injury risk, and diminished practice time.

It'd be one helluva expansive model to get right, but your basic concept seems like it would lend itself to tackling the problem.

*my HS alma mater is currently averaging around 40 ppg through four games ... but giving up nearly 45 ppg, which would be the worst scoring defense in the 60 year history, by a fair margin. Basically the offense has all the experienced players and most of the talent, the defense is playing as many as nine Fr/So at a time, the tradeoffs are rather obvious.

Just to follow up on this. I've been planning the next projects and my development cycle lately, and I think the idea of doing a HS version has real promise! As of right now, I'm going to plan on following this project up with a HS version, instead of moving to a college version. I'll fill the gap between the regen3 project and the HS project with a college game sometime later.

I can think of so many interesting things that a HS game brings to team management, that I just can't wait to get cracking on it!