View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let me step back and explain how I came upon this idea for my next FM dynasty. I picked up a copy after a discount from vex (thanks again!). Then I downloaded and got it all ready to play, but as who?

My favorite genre of music is electronic music. Seriously, my five favorite artists are Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, Echoing Green, Schiller and DJ Roger Shah. Of the countless sub-genres of electronic music, one of my favorites is Balearic Beat, which comes from the island of Ibiza. It’s a more laid back version of club music, often with acoustic instruments tossed in. From Solar Stone’s Seven Cities to Roger Shah and Zara’s Lost, I adore this group of music.

Now, I don’t know a lick about Spanish football. If you put a gun to my testicles and promised to blow them off unless I could to name 10 Spanish clubs, odds are I’d be singing soprano. So, is there a club from Ibiza? Because that’d be really cool. Playing a club from the Balearic Isles in Spanish Football, and taking it up to the big leagues.

So I looked. Nope, no Ibiza club in the first three levels of Spanish football. Ah well. But there are some other clubs from the Balearic Isles, such as 2nd Division Mallorca, and 2B Division clubs Constància and Atlético Baleares. So I looked, and Atlético Baleares looked like a nice shot. It’s not in too bad of a position, and just two levels from the Real Madrids of Spanish football.

But the promotion system is wonky. See, there are 80 clubs in the 2B level, and each has 20 teams. And the top team isn’t even promoted – there are playoffs. So there’s just a one in four chance that you’ll make it to the next level if you finish in a top spot. Just one team is promoted out of each of these four leagues – but three or four are related from each one. Lots of teams finish in the top four over a few seasons and never make it out because of the playoffs. That would be quite frustrating, since there’s just one ticket out and it comes via playoffs.

What about Mallorca, which is already out of this labyrinthine setup? That’s fine. I really liked the idea of playing from an island against the mainland. I also looked at fellow folks from the Canary Islands – Tenerife and Las Palmas from the same division. I wasn’t sure though, so I moved to the Portuguese area.

We have a team from the Azores in the 2nd division - C.D. Santa Clara, from the Azores, is currently in the Segunda Liga, with a value of $0 and insecure finances! Predicted 14th – tough place to begin a dynasty due to financial situation.

And I found my team shortly thereafter.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote