View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #560
Izulde
Head Coach

We're tabbed for 8th in the conference, 3rd in the divison behind the Clippers and the Suns. Phoenix I could see topping us, the Red and White, no. In a great irony, the Nuggets are picked to win the West. Granted a Tony Bryson/David Anyan/Dontay Williamson frontcourt is deadly, but I'm not buying Greg Horan and Dondrell Wilder as a championship backcourt. Rockets #2, Hornets #3, Clippers #4. So the usual preseason mag silliness.

For the East they're saying Chicago, Indiana, Orlando as the top 3. The Magic at 3 is crazy, but really, it feels like it's wide open in the East this year, so I can't argue too much with their other selections.

2028 Opening Day Lineup - Sacramento Kings
PG Justin Richler
SG Vladimir Tupolev
SF Vladmir Raschupchin
PF Jim Johnson
C Luke Smith
6th William Tackett (PG/SG)
7th Patrick Weston (SF/PF/C)
8th David Jackson (SF/PF/C)
9th Ferdinand Kallenberger (SF/PF)
10th Brandon Edmond (SF/PF/C)
11th Justin Cherry (PG/SG/SF)
12th Alfred Baxley (PG/SG)
Inactive
Tzvetan Kishishev (SF/PF/C)

If there's one thing that worries me, it's that we might not have rebounding and defense enough in our starting five. But we'll find out soon enough.

A split to open the season. It's always nice beating the Mavericks and we do it on their court, 104-99, thanks to a fourth quarter rally and a blistering 44 points from Vladimir Tupolev in his first game as a King. Justin Richler tacks on 20 points and it's basically those two that do it. We have more balance the next night in San Antonio, with 21 points from Vladimir Tupolev, 12 points and 10 rebounds from Luke Smith and 12 bench boards from Patrick Weston, but the fast-rising Spurs beat us 103-96 as we blow it in the fourth. Ameirin Qipani may be the best PG since Bernard Kelly if tonight's game is any indication: 27 points, 13 assists, 6 rebounds, 5 blocks and a steal. He and Damian Thomas (27 points) are forces to be reckoned with, to be sure.

We get a look at just how good we can -really- be when we kick the snot out of the Rockets 138-96. Jim "Twizzler" Johnson and Vladimir Tupolev score 34 points a piece, Patrick Weston and Alfred Baxley score 12 and 10 points respectively off the bench and William Tackett distributes 10 assists with the second time. Damn it feels good having Tupolev on our side.

Our first home game of the year's a disappointment as the Raptors beat us 109-97, Ronnie Fry lighting up for 35 points as a point of revenge. 26 and 21 points from Vladimir Tupolev and Justin Richler and 15 bench points each from William Tackett and David "50 Ninja" Jackson can't cut it when our entire starting frontcourt scores in single digits. We don't let it get to us though, beating the Sonics 107-98 in Seattle. Vladmir Tupolev punishes his old team with 28 points and William Tackett continues to adapt well off the bench with 14 points.

It's been a little frustrating in the early going because we can't find a consistent rhythm and that continues in our next back-to-back. 118-113 win in Phoenix on Justin Richler's 32 points, Vladimir Raschupchin's 28 points, doubles from Jim Johnson (16 points, 12 rebounds) and Luke Smith (13 points, 11 rebounds) and 10 bench assists from William Tacket is followed by 101-92 home loss to the Nuggets. Grr. I can't believe we lost by 9, because it seemed a lot closer than that. Luke Smith records 11 points and 12 rebounds and David Jackson contributes 10 points and 8 rebounds off the bench, but we can't break through.

We need a 35 point fourth quarter to do it, but we -finally- win a home game. The narrowest of margins at 108-107 over the Bulls, but we'll take it. Vladimir Tupolev scores 30, Jim "Twizzler" Johnson makes his presence known with 22 points and 10 rebounds and Vladimir Raschupchin chips in 21 points.

It takes us way too many games, but we finally string two wins in a row, beating Memphis 101-74 thanks to Justin Richler's 29 points and 15 assists and William Tackett's 10 bench points.

The Two Vladimirs roar for 40 (Raschupchin) and 21 (Tupolev) points a piece and we rip apart Milwaukee 130-101. 50 Ninja Jackson puts up 14 bench points and William Tackett sets a second team record with 16 assists.

William Tackett comes off the bench for 19 points, 10 assists, 4 rebounds and 3 blocks as we whip the Rockets 128-92. Justin Richler leads all scorers with 22 points and Luke Smith adds 11 points and 14 rebounds for our fourth straight win.

A war breaks out against the Lakers and we just barely eke out a 113-112 in Los Angeles, Justin Richler our main general with 27 points and 9 assists, William Tackett on fire with 20 points in 19 minutes off the bench.

No such cardiac theatrics versus the Timberwolves as we roll 104-76 on Justin Richler's 22 points and 10 assists, Luke Smith's 11 points and 11 rebounds and William Tackett's 10 bench points.

A road back-to-back finishes off the first month. Memphis ends our win streak 113-105 despite Justin Richler's 30 points, Luke Smith's 14 points and 15 rebounds and William Tackett's 10 bench assists. But we snap back to clip the Hornets 113-106 as Justin Richler scores 36, Twizzler Johnson jams for 27 points and 12 rebounds and Vladimir Raschupchin hangs 25 points on New Orleans.

It took us a while, but once we got ourselves sorted out, we compiled an 11-4 record, giving us an early 4 game lead on the Suns, sandwiched between 11-3 Denver and 11-5 Dallas for the first month conference lead.

Over in the East, the Pacers are 15-0, the first time in my 20 years anybody's finished the first month undefeated. In light of that, nobody notices New Jersey's 12-3 mark. Amazing.

But not as amazing as the news I heard from Mateen Yeaton, who's the head coach at West Carolina. He's gotten 3 four-star players in North Carolina to sign their LOIs during the early period, a recruiting coup I think is just him kidding me until I read the papers.

What a crazy year it's been already, both at the pro and college levels just in the first month.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote