View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #443
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, let's have a look at the season ahead. No draft, no reason to worry there... it's conceivable but unlikely that I study enough to move in to get picks. More likely I just build the roster this season from free agents. We've got nearly $100m in cap space - sounds like a ton, but this is a fast-moving league, that's only about 16%. So, we won't have the capacity to really go nuts here.

A note - while I really like doing this thread, and it has definitely accomplished the goal of keeping me interested in this league, there's a downside. I just don't feel I can write, here and now, stuff like "I really need to re-sign this guy, he's critical to us, so I'm putting in a bonus heavy offer of $14m per year, even though he's only asking for $8m." Honestly, me saying that stuff as it happens, as I'm thinking about it, would be the most useful depth of this sort of thread... but it's a MP league, people occasionally wander in and out of here, and the last thing I need is more interference with my plans. In this league I have already seen a conference contender swoop in to target one of my standard low-talent, high-cohesion, high-chemistry guys... guys who are worth a lot to me, but not much to anyone else. When a rival moves in, offers such a guy a huge one year no-bonus deal, signs him and then quickly releases him back to the wild... the only real effect is denying my team its cohesion edge. (That player was off my roster for 15 minutes, but has forgotten the names of all his former friends and the entire playbook, got it) Anyway... with my example above, I don't need to enable someone out there to see my bid and say "okay, if I want that cat, it's apparently gonna take $16m/yr rather than $10m... good to know." I suppose I could engage in codebreaker-style subterfuge, but staying quiet about specifics seems like the right play. So, to my man Chas or anyone else out there following along... sorry the deep deets won't be forthcoming here.

However, I appear to be in a typing mood, and am taking a break from work, so... I'm fixin' to get into it a bit here.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote