Playstyle/Recruiting Plans for Each Career

Lockdown Defense

Primary Recruiting Ratings

Big Men: PSD, DRB
Guards: PRD, STL

Secondary Recruiting Ratings

Big Men: ORB, BLK
Guards: HND, PAS

SF's fall under the "guard" preferences here.

What this means is that for my bigs I must have good post defenders and defensive rebounds. These two ratings MUST be A or B. If that doesn't happen then assume there has been some sort of disaster in my recruiting process. If I end up with lots of targets who have similar ratings in Post Defense and Defensive Rebounding, then I'll look at offensive rebounding and shot blocking to decide who to prioritize.

Additionally, I reserve the right to balance these ratings out if I see fit. What that means is that I may well choose to recruit a guy who is B PSD/B DRB/B ORB/C BLK over a guy who is A PSD/A DRB/F ORB/F BLK. The goal here is more about having zero holes on my defense, adding a little balance if I can afford to, instead of blindly preferring 90 PSD to 80 PSD regardless of what else a player can do.

Expected Gameplan Notes

100% man to man. The pace may slow down a little here, but remember I'm going to be at a top school doing this, so if I do it right I'm still going to average on offense. I may press and trap some, but this is more about playing 40 minutes of stifling defense than it is about forcing turnovers. I would rather force the other team into difficult shots every possession than get lots of steals but allow layups when the press is broken.

Pressing and Trapping - Dominating the Turnover Battle

Big Men: BLK, PSD
Guards: STL, HND

Big Men: DRB, HND
Guards: PAS, OFFENSE

Gameplan Overview

This is basically the classic original FBCB dominant strategy. The difference is that in the original game, I never once looked at a player's passing rating. I believe its a lot more relevant in this version, so I'm going to give it some attention.

Most of the ratings here are similar to the defensive one, but the results may be drastically different. I'm pretty comfortable with this system, if I play 50 seasons like this, I will probably lead the nation in steals in 40 of them. The goal is really about possessions more than it is about steals. When I'm on defense I want to end the possession as frequently as possible without allowing the other team to shoot (steals + blocks). When I'm on offense my primary concern is that I want to get a shot off every possession (ball handling, even as a secondary concern for bigs, and passing). Because in this version of the game I won't be getting 20 steals per game, I do need to be able to score a little out of the half court offense, so for my guards a secondary concern is some kind of offense. I don't care if its the ability to drive, shoot jumpers, or shoot the 3... just have a little bit of a threat here and there.

3 point shooting

Big Men: PSD, DRB
Guards: 3PS

Big Men: INS, BLK
Guards: HND, JPS

gameplan notes

I've accidentally ended up with something like this in multiplayer in recent years. The 3PS preference for guards is much more strict here. When describing the other styles I said that I just don't want any holes at the primary areas, but I understand balance is important too. This is a little different. Every single PG, SG, and SF I put on the court, starters and backups, ideally they have A potential from behind the arc. Of course I'll recruit some A potential guys that come in a little worse than scouted... but ideally I'll have 6 guys at the smaller positions with 3PS ratings above 80 once this gets going. Past that, the goal is to just find decent balance elsewhere.

High Motion Offense

Big Men: HND, PAS (??)
Guards: HND, PAS

Big Men: DRB, PSD
Guards: PRD, OFFENSE

gameplan notes

I don't know if its realistic to focus that heavily on ball handling and passing for bigs. Maybe just ball handling and then make sure the guy can also at least rebound or defend. I'm also not going to go crazy here and expect my bigs to be A HND/A PAS. The idea is more that I want all of my backcourt players to be very good handling and passing, and I want to make sure none of my bigs have stone hands to kill the fluidity of the offense if he ever touches the ball. So most likely in reality my big men will be pretty balanced overall, but I want them all to have C HND at least, and maybe C HND/C PAS.

I'd love to see this team run with a motion of 10, I've never done this though so I dunno how it will work. I'm not trying to run the Princeton offense here, so I don't want the pace too low, but I need it low enough that we allow time to find an open shot through ball movement. I'm imagining a pace of 5/motion of 10 every year, with all the rest of the gameplan settings varying based on secondary ratings. Since there is no defense in any of the primary ratings here I expect the game will recommend some zone for me. I may or may not take that recommendation some years. I expect to have decent enough defenses with PSD/PRD as a secondary stat to stick with man to man here.

Offensive Juggernaut

Big Men: INS
Guards: JPS, INS

Big Men: DRB, PSD
Guards: 3PS, HND

gameplan notes

We're gonna score a lot. Similar to the 3 point shooting plan, the only thing I priortize for my bigs here is inside scoring. I want A INS for every center and power forward I recruit. Other stuff is all secondary. For my guards I want them to be able to pull up and shoot or to drive to the basket. Maybe I'll make room for one guy who can spot up from 3 as well, or maybe that'll just be a secondary thing and I'll have guys who are acceptable, but not great, 3 point shooters everywhere.

This team won't be able to defend to save its life. But we're gonna run, and I'm going to put 9 guys out on the floor who can score every time they touch the ball. High pace, medium at best motion, this is where we may play a lot of 2-3 zone because there isn't going to be a whole lot of focus on defense.

That's all I got for now. Like I say if anyone has any suggestions past this let me know. My main goals here are to see if any of these systems are easier to recruit towards than others, and if any of them seem to allow for more success on the court.

Last edited by Radii : 07-03-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote