View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #103
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Things We Do For Love

So, two seasons ago, I knew there was a chemistry issue brewing. There were, by my count, five legitimate chem leaders on the defensive side of the ball in the one sign where I had (unfortunately) built both my D& and DB groups. One of them was my incoming D7 chem leader, a guy we had been sitting on for years as a below-replacement-level talent but knowing he would step into this role for us in time. Another one was our current DB leader, a safety. Things were basically fine, and nearly everyone on my defense was from the 7-8 and 11-2 groups (only two exceptions).

Then the DE retired last offseason. I had to move to replace him, and ultimately came up with a plan -- I put in bids on the two best-looking chem leader DBs out there in the 8-9 group, expecting to have to fatten them up and try to switch one to become a lousy linebacker. It worked, to an extent -- I got a CB in Hammond (by massively overpaying for 1yr) and switched him to safety, and moved my safety/DBleader over to play OLB. It worked, chemistry was back in place, and we were fine.

This offseason, the safety-cum-backer retired. I'm a mess now. Had to settle for a not-very-good leader there, my current guy only has a 66 personality. I know, you're saying "oh boo hoo" but listen -- this is how I build my team. We didn't go 16-0 last season because I have some rocket surgery gameplan, or because I'm a superb drafter. We win (when we do) because I build my roster for good fits in every way, and then I keep them around as best I can. This is the best play I have.

So..we had to re-sign S Hammond, but lacked the cap space to do it easily. Put in a couple bids, one got rejected, one got withdrawn due to cap space problems. Came down to this last stage, and... I flubbed it.

Now, the two DBs who would solve my problem are both sitting on rosters managed by AVAILABLE. Hammond took a 1yr minsal deal, of course, and anther guy took a legit deal last offseason as I failed to push in heavily for him as my Plan B. So, we're fuct.

No apologies for writing about this so much. People drafting and signing players happens everywhere... if you're taking the time to read this stuff, you might as well feel how much this upends my team's plans. For this season, the chemistry losses will definitely hurt us more than the suspension of our 1.4 wide receiver rookie.

Grumble, grumble.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote