View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 01:11 PM   #77
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
All of this is contingent on the student actually telling a teacher/admin/counselor in the first place. That is the important part, isn't it? The students are actually going to a teacher/admin/counselor for help/advice as opposed to fellow students or the internet. I reject the narrative that school staffs are hiding things like thoughts of suicide, pregnancies, depression, bullying etc. from parents on a regular basis.
Yes, its good student is going to teacher/admin/counselor in the first place, the issue is if it's disclosed to parents within a reasonable amount of time.

Pregnancies is an easy one to research and provide evidence. It is not consistent nationwide, but there are states that are not required to report to parents. I did not find a site with consolidated policies for all 50 States but see below links.
For California - Know Your Rights: Pregnant & Parenting Students | ACLU of Northern CA
For Illinois - 400 Bad Request.
For NY - https://www.nyclu.org/en/rrp-student-pregnancies-are-not-reportable-school-officials-or-parents#:~:text=New%20York%2C%20Federal%20and%20constitutional,parents%20without%20the%20student's%20permission
Maine - https://mainefamilyplanning.org/wp-c...hure_web-1.pdf
If you are saying - it may not be legally required to inform parents but its mostly done anyways. I don't think there are any studies to affirm or contradict that, nor any studies that says how long it takes to finally inform parents.

From my POV, there's enough evidence to where if a State wants to mandate it as a parental right, I don't have a problem at all.

Quote:
While you can find the examples to the contrary, I believe there are far more examples of students not wanting to talk to a parent about something, talking to a teacher/admin/counselor, the teacher/admin/counselor providing some guidance, and eventually the student being comfortable to talk to the parent about the issue and/or yes the teacher/admin/counselor letting the parent know because they know it is in the best interests of the child. Will it be as fast as the parent would want? Maybe not.
I've stated 1 week. I understand it will vary based on complexity of the situation, but what do you think is the appropriate time, for the vast majority of situations, to let the parents know.

Quote:
I still think it is better than the alternative of the students not talking to anyone and suffering in silence or even worse going to Reddit or Tik Tok for advice on what to do.
Oh yeah, no disagreement here.

Quote:
If the school is notifying parents, it is because the school has determined that some is a problem. Parents are not notified because kids are on time for all their classes. They are notified when the kids are late and/or skip class.

Calling a parent and providing them with a formal notification that their child does not match the school's "default" is going to be a problem. Especially if the school can not explain why that notification is the best interests of that child's mental, emotional, or physical health or well-being.
I understand the school has to inform the parents in a proper way and provide some level of assistance & support. Maybe I said it inelegantly but see below
Quote:
The school will say to the effect "we were required to inform you, we need to inform you about X-Y-Z, do you want to discuss more as we may have some school support services or can refer you to other services etc." and go from there.
I was reacting more to your "parents say "And?" while looking for the number of a good lawyer.". I don't understand what a lawyer is needed? Only situation I can think of is if there is negligence involved (e.g. not reporting knowing about a pregnancy in Month 2 until Month 7)

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-17-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote