View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

An American Adventure (FM 16)

Hello, everyone. First of all, I hope you and those you love are healthy and safe.

This afternoon, I found myself in the mood for a new Football Manager experience, perhaps something I've never tried before. I've tended to avoid managing in the United States because, even though my wife, my kids, and I all enjoy watching MLS, it's just too much different from the rest of the football world. For example, I need a refresher course on MLS's roster rules at the beginning of every season, and I like the idea of promotion and relegation.

I decided to look for a "fantasy" database that would allow me to manage in an American football system that looked more like what I'm used to seeing in the rest of the world. I found one that might be a lot of fun.

A user called "Milo Bloom" created a database for Football Manager 16 that includes a fictional American football pyramid with nine levels. I counted 342 playable clubs, with another 300 clubs in a non-playable lower level from which teams could be promoted. Each of the clubs has a kit, a stadium, and a RESERVE stadium. The amount of work "Milo" has put into his creation is simply astounding.

"Milo" recommends loading lots of players into the database, so there are enough for teams to have full squads. My kids, who are taking quite a bit of interest in this project, suggested I add some players from Europe to make things more interesting. I thought that sounded fun, so we'll see some English, Dutch, and German players in our story. My 10-year-old daughter Beth hopes at least a few Liechtensteiners and Luxembourgers make it over, since she persuaded me to add footballers with those nationalities to the player pool.

"Milo" also suggests letting the game sim a few seasons at the start, so things begin to settle out some. I'm in the process of letting it do that now. I'm not sure I have the patience to wait that long, however.

Right now, I have no idea where I'll begin my managerial career. I'm inclined to start in a city with which I have some kind of personal connection. I also think I'd like to begin fairly well down the pyramid, rather than at a big club. Once I'm through simming, I'll be back to reveal my first managerial destination.

I hope my American Adventure will provide all of us with some amusement during these stressful times.

Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote