View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #333
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Long Course and Summer Season Review

When I look back on the long course and the summer seasons, it is pretty obvious that the kids did very well. When we look at the kids goals for the season that fact becomes pretty obvious....

Brett

For Long Course, Brett wanted to earn state cuts in all 3 breaststroke races, wanted to be on one of the Gold Team Relays at state (preferably the A relay), wanted to earn a medal in a year round meet, and wanted to get a cut outside of breast for state.

Well, Brett got all 3 breaststroke cuts, was on both A relays (though he didn't get to swim them due to the air quality issues in Savannah), he got a medal in the relay at the tune up event a couple weeks before state. The only goal he didn't reach was an outside cut, but I knew before the season started he wouldn't get that one.

For the Summer Season Brett wanted to win breast at county, earn an individual medal at the GRPA State Meet, and get on the podium with his relay at GRPA State.

Well he lost the Breast at county by .05 seconds - so he just missed, which also cost him his goal for making the podium at GRPA with the relay because the A county team won state (and Brett actually outswam the kid that beat him at county in every breast split, relay prelims, breaststroke event, relay finals - so Brett would have actually improved the teams overall times had he been on the A team). He did miss getting the individual medal.

Bear

In Long Course, Bear wanted to get a state cut, and he got 2, both long freestyles. It is looking more and more like this might be his niche in the sport. I was very concerned that he wouldn't get a cut so his accomplishment here and results at state were extremely satisfying for me, and it was easy to see how proud he was of himself.

In Summer, he was hoping to get on the GRPA state team, at least in the free relay....and as it turns out, he was 1 swimmer from getting on the relay team. Moreover, had he not screwed up his turn, he would have made the team.

Bailey

Bailey wanted to get state cuts for long course, and I was comfident she would. She did an excellent job in her flys and backs and she appears headed to a nice short course season for 11 year olds. I think she was a bit disappointed with her results at State, but that is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

For Summer, Bailey wanted to get on the GRPA team as well, at least in Free Relay, just like Bear, and actually, had the Polo Fields coach not screwed up, she would have made the team.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote