View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #153
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We won today, 6-0, though we're incredibly lucky to do so.

We lost the toss and eventually elected to receive. The kick bounced over Bryce's head and he eventually fell on it at the 22. Holy cow, what bad field position.

A fumbled snap and two plays later, we're looking at 4th and 9. I make a mental note of the 3 man defensive line and we punt it away, the ball landing on our 40.

The SCAC Tigers get a first down on a big 4th down conversion, but fail to get a first down on the next series. We take over on our own 9 yard line. We run one play, get one yard, and that ends the first quarter.

Here's where we start having a little fun. We start wedging and it works. We gain two first downs before JD tires. Jacob comes in and we sweep for no gain, Toss left with Carlos who gains 3, and fumble the snap for a loss of 2. Hunter punts it away, and they take over at midfield.

A fumble by their squad gives us the ball on our 45, with 3 minutes left. Ideally, I'd wedge some more, but I'm running out of clock. We toss for 3 with Bryce, Counter with Carlos for no gain, and try our first pass, which falls incomplete. We took half the time off the clock and punted to their 40.

They come out passing, completing a few but getting sacked as well. The clock runs out as they end up on our 15.

0-0 at the half, and honestly, we're pretty lucky. I'm very happy we're kicking off to them this time.

Jacob gets off a very nice onside kick and Ray recovers the ball. He literally took it away from a boy who had his hand on it but away from his body. Noah takes the first snap at quarterback and it's fumbled. Out he goes. Nathaniel comes in and pitches the ball too high for Bryce. Bad news, the other team recovers.

We get the ball back on another turnover, essentially at midfield. Bryce breaks off a great run on a counter, and we're stopped on our 25. Carlos runs a toss to the left getting us to the 15 before FUMBLING.

After failing to convert on 4th and 2, we took over on downs at their 25 in the 4th. Soon after, the fourth quarter started.

We wedged twice. Jacob carried on a wedge for 3 yards, JD for 4. We try our second pass on 3rd and 3 and can't convert it. 4th and 3 on their 18, it feels eerily like last week's game. I can't help myself. I call the same play I called in the game last week. 49 Sweep. Hunter makes the block. Carlos scores.

I knew we could do it.

After our extra point run failed, I had a bit of a conference with the refs. Their players lined up in a 2 point stance over our players. The refs said 'it's legal in a goal line defense'. I told him, shoot, I'm always lined up in a goal-line defense. Literally, we were in a 10-1 for most of the day. I asked where we draw the line with it, and they told me they'd look into it.

3 minutes left. We onside, Jacob kicks it nearly straight ahead this time, fortunately, there was no return. Whew. Ball on the 50, 3 minutes to go. 4 straight incompletions, of which 2 or 3 cost me a year off my life, and we take over with 2:40 on the clock.

We wedge once more, sweep right and try our special "Crunch Right". Crunch Right looked horrible, losing 4 or 5 yards in the process. The boys lined up correctly in practice, did it correctly in the pregame, and layed an egg during the game. Our wings were more like flankers. Bryce lined up over the tackle instead of behind the quarterback. I wasn't about to call timeout.

4th down, we try a sweep to the left, it gains a few, but not enough. Still, they've got some 50-60 yards to score.

They don't, a sack and 3 incompletions later, we take over with 28 seconds on the clock.

We lined up in a weird victory formation, took a knee, and watched the final 20 seconds run off the clock.

Woot! Vols win over a team that won 20-0 the week before!