View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #159
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thanks guys. It was really a great experience. I've coached before and won, but never as the head coach of a tackle football team.

There were a few things I won't forget about this.

1. The first win. Incredibly relieving.
2. Getting Jacob positive yards without injury or a fumble.
3. Winning without Connor playing fullback or linebacker for us.
4. Opposing coaches yelling about how we were illegally running our wedge by holding hands as we ran upfield.

The last part nearly had me laughing behind our offense as we kept running the wedge for yards. They did complement me on the wedge after the game and on our ability to put pressure on the outside edge.

After this game, I ate a quick lunch with my wife and in-laws. I then headed off to the Blue Hawks game. I was running late, but so were their games. I ended up about 15 minutes early.

The Blue Hawks do NOTHING too fancy.

5-3 defense. Nothing fancy about that.

Two tight ends, pro set backfield. Flanker left or right. Depending on where the flanker is, that's where the RUN IS EVERY TIME. The crazy part? It's a quick pitch to the outside. EVERY TIME. We'll kill that play.

They ran a pass out of it a few times, but they ROLLED LEFT EVERY TIME, since their quarterback is a lefty. Because of that, they THREW IT TO #31 every time in that formation.

The only other play they ran out of pro set? A quick pitch, halfback pass. Again, we should murder it.

Their other main formation was a double tight end wishbone set. Normally, that would give you problems, but they only ran three plays out of it. Off tackle left, off tackle right, AND ONE PASS. Off tackle worries me. We'll adjust to put more men at the point of attack.

Finally, with less than a minute to go in the first half, they ran a trips set, but threw to the backside tight end on the first play. The second play they ran a pitch to that backside for a touchdown. Again, nothing I should be afraid of.

Overall, I'm VERY excited about this game. The Blue Hawks are now 2-0, but I very much believe we'll make them 2-1 next Saturday.