Head Coach

First Round Day 12

Charlotte at New Jersey

New Jersey leads 3-2

CHA:NJN
83:79 OVR
77:79 OFF
81:80 DEF

Time to try to stay alive and bring it back to Charlotte for game 7.

First Quarter

Charlotte 24
New Jersey 20

After seeing Wallace struggle last game i go out of my way to get him off to a good start, and he does better than I could have hoped for, scoring 11 in 9 minutes. Padgett has 5, no one else has more than 2. Padgett is 2-5 and is a little cold. Outlaw leads the Nets with 6 points/5 boards harris has 4, no one else there mor than 2.

Second Quarter

New Jersey 43
Charlotte 38

Man, scoring was damn hard that quarter. We were trailing 27-26 with 6 minutes left in the half. Wallace went 0-4 this quarter and still has 11. Augustin has 7, Padgett 7, Allen 5, Diaw 4 at the half. New Jersey is going inside well, Dalembert, Outlaw and Harris all have 8.

After the super high shooting percentages last game, New Jersey is shooting 43% and we are shooting a horrific 32%. We're 1 for 9 from 3.

Third Quarter

New Jersey 67
Charlotte 61

New Jersey scores the last 5 of the quarter, erasing some work we'd done to get the deficit down to 1. The offense really struggled, Augustin is 0-5 from 3, allen 1-5, mostly solid shots.

Wallace 16, Padgett 15 points/8 boards, Allen 7, Augustin 7, Diaw 6. As always, New Jersey has balanced scoring, 15 from Howard, 14 from Harris, 10 from Outlaw and dalembert.

One more quarter left to try to extend our season. We're really working our asses off for every point here, nothing comes easy. we need our defense to be strong unless we find an unexpected explosion on the offensive end.

Fourth Quarter

9:15 to go - Hanging in there, its 73-69 Nets, the just used a timeout.

7:20 to go - augustin misses an open 3, Padgett misses a hook shot, Chandler misses two free throws, Allen misses an open 3... its 79-69, we trail by 10, we could have scored on every single one of those trips but come up completely empty.

5:10 to go - We trail 81-72 and this is looking grim. i sit Padgett who is exhausted.

1:15 to go - uh hi. So New Jersey went up 86-72 and I wasn't planning on writing any more but "well New Jersey owned us down the stretch". We get it down to 8, they push it back to 12. However, after they got it to 12 the last time, we get a dunk from Chandler, a 3 point play from Padgett, and a 3 point play from Gerald Henderson on 3 straight trips! All of a sudden we trail 90-86 instead of 90-78 like we did about 40 seconds ago.

1:05 to go - Harris draws the D and gets an easy dish to Terrence Williams. 92-86.

0:58 to go - Hah! Felton draws the D and gets an easy dish to Dell Sparks. 92-88.

0:35 to go - Harris takes a tough shot from 18 feet and misses. Sparks boards(Chandler is tired) and we run our offense, Wallace ends up driving to the rim and draws a foul, almost getting another 3 point play, but the shot rims out. He hits both at the line, and its 92-90 Nets.

We force Dalembert into a tough shot after they burn some clock, and we rebound. I try to push it instead of taking a timeout, Padgett gets the ball going hard to the rim, but he's well contested and his shot is no good. New Jersey rebounds, I foul, and there's only 4 seconds left on the clock. New Jersey makes both free throws to seal the series.

New Jersey 94
Charlotte 90

Padgett: 25 points/9 boards (10-23 shooting)
Wallace: 20 points/8 boards
Sparks: 10 points/11 boards !!!
Allen; 9 points (1-7 from 3)
Augustin: 7 points (0-6 from 3)
Felton: 6 points/7 assists (3-9 FG)
Diaw: 6 points
Chandler: 4 points/11 boards
Henderson: 3 points

you can look at the FG numbers I posted there and get a feel for how hard it was for me to get points this game. We shot 1/15 from 3, just 40% from the floor and just could not get anything at all going. Its amazing that we were able to keep the game close. We did so at the line where we made 7 more free throws than the Nets.

So with that, our season ends with a whimper. Ray Allen and Boris Diaw have played their last games in a Bobcats uniform, and while I really wanted to make it to the next round, this team was never one that I expected to be a serious contender. We're still improving, Padgett should continue to grow, and I'm both nervous and excited about free agency this year. Its our chance to make a step forward, but if we fail, we may be the same or even worse next season.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote