View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 11:43 PM   #47
Radii
Head Coach

Discuss Obstacles/Last Week Results

Two separate things here, but I'll combine them into one. First, we're asked to share thoughts/experiences with the Sitting Practice/Mindfulness Meditation (to make it even more confusing, this instructor refers to it as "Breath Awareness Meditation"). The main mention here is about the posture being distracting. That for those without good posture already, there is a lot of worrying if you're in the right position, or hurting a bit and/or having discomfort escalate throughout the process. There was also a comparison of the Sitting Practice to the Body Scan, comments on how people prefer the Sitting Practice and find it easier to do. I've made both of those statements myself, and it seems like there's a lot of agreement on both of these things.

-- On the posture issue, the instructor mentions that its a bit tough at the start, but that really poor posture discourages good breathing, and over longer periods of time is damaging anyway. So in theory it would be just fine for now to do the best you can with posture and improve it, but that could easily lead to just permanently shitty posture, so they choose to teach everything completely properly with the hope that with practice your back will strengthen and this will get easier. But there's a tradeoff in the short term.

-- On the "I like this thing better than that thing" there is a comment to continue to practice everything, that everyone will have some things that they like more than other things, but for many people that changes over time. What you like at the start may not be the same thing you like at the end of the course, etc. Main point being not to give up on the things you don't like as much.

Separately, we discuss obstacles that keep us from practicing regularly. This is all about time management for most people. I have a lot of free time, this isn't really an issue for me.

Poem

Journey, by Mary Oliver

This is the second poem by this poet. Meh?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote