View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 05:28 AM   #1012
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And, though I didn't get into this on FB for whatever reason ... something unique to my experience so far: I felt cheated. God as my witness, I'm thrilled for the young lady and her family, I truly am. I wasn't "jealous" but I felt cheated. And for the first time I thought/said "why not us?"

Not like jealously "instead of" that kid but more like "us too?"

I wasn't angry, I didn't feel the need to shake my fist at the heavens ... I was hurt, and felt like we got cheated somehow.

Yeah, I can know that ain't how it works ... but knowing don't always change feeling.

This bit right here is such a horrible mindfuck. The inability to just be thrilled without that cheated feeling popping up simultaneously...ugh.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote