View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

What I'm doing: This is a dynasty that I've run on the OOTP Forum for a couple months. At the suggestion of someone there I've started popping by your forum. I really like the stuff I read here, so I decided if I was posting something here, I would be more likely to stop by regularly if I had something, anything to do. I'm actually building towards a 1946 dynasty, but I didn't like the idea of something just 'existing', I needed a history. I decided I had three options: make up a history, use the real history, or run OOTP for 70 seasons and build a history. I chose the latter. This thread will basically: set the histories of some of the characters I use in the dynasty and give me the background stats needed to fill out a history.

How am I doing it: I'm using plain old Lahman's with one little twist: I've edited all players so they enter at 20. I did this by copying the player's worst OPS+/ERA+ season as that first season. I know-not the way most of you would do it, but mostly (as the test I've run show) it keeps everyone from being imported as Major League ready. And I like the fact it is actual numbers the player created, and not some "normalized" line. Again, not the way most of you would handle it, but it is my world.

I've also made the decision to "split" players who had pitching/batting stats this way: if they had 10% of their games as a pitcher (if mainly a fielder) 0r 10% of thier games as a fielder (if mainly a pitcher) then they are imported as two seperate players.

I've also made the decision to give each player fictional names. Why bother doing that? Well, there is an arc I'd like the league histories to take--knowing who a player developed into, even with the crapshoot development, makes it easier to build that history. I mean, I know Lou Gehrig may not become a "monster" player, but he has a better shot than, say Charlie Carr. So if you see a player and think, "hmm, he reminds me of Ty Cobb," well he very well could be. I just want to disconnect my reader from seeing the names and having preconcived notions of who that player is.

Well, Thanks already for giving me some good reading, I hope I can return the favor.

Last edited by SelzShoes : 04-24-2005 at 05:03 PM.
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote