View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 03:25 PM   #32
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

1875-1876 Off Season

From the Cincinnati Bugle
King Hurler Disgrace to City
Seen at “Sin Parlors”

In an exclusive granted to the Cincinnati Bugle, Charlotte Hemphell, a woman of low morals, has reported Base Ball Kings hurler and field captain Tory Claessens has spent many a day in the “sin parlors” just across the river. Miss Hemphell, has revealed not only does Mr. Claessens partake in liquor prior to games, he has engaged in sins of the flesh with many harlots and jezebels in the tawdry districts the Commonwealth provides weak willed citizens of our fair city. Miss Hemphell herself has revealed, much to the distaste of this reporter, the lurid details of times the “hero of the box” had exchanged monies for carnal debauchery with her and other fallen women.

“It started innocently enough,” she related, “but the demon rum and suggestive dances he’d learned on trips to New York City overcame my virtue. Soon, I found myself toiling in houses of ill-repute to satisfy the lust in the flesh he had aroused.” Miss Hemphell, formerly of Cairo, Illinois, told this reporter she had been making her way to relatives in Philadelphia and a sound job as a housekeeper when the vile beast Claessens forced her into a life of sin. “My Christian virtue was lost but for one night of animal lust induced by him and his wicked ways.”

More shocking, Miss Hemphell has reported she is with child, and the father is none other than the leader of our Base Ball Kings. Claessens, who is married with two children, has refused to acknowledge the situation he has placed her in, “he has not only soiled my flesh, but my spirit as well.” The vile philanderer could not be reached to verify his responsibility to the young woman he hath debased.

The “sin parlors” across the river are noted for their easy women, flowing gin and gambling houses. Unfortunately they are outside the laws of Ohio, and our city; but civic minded people can take action by reporting to this paper, or their church, the names of those who would stray so the public can remind these souls of the righteous path.
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote