View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #34
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

1875-1876 Off Season

Letter from Leander Tanner, Cleveland
Dearest Maggie
My body still aches from a winter’s worth of labor, but the strenuous work has kept my blood flowing for the long summer ahead. However, my summer in Cleveland may be shorter than I hope.

This past fall, two teams in our association failed and there are more men than ever desiring to make a career at base ball. No longer content to play before spartan crowds such as in the local leagues back home, but before as many as 5,000 a day, these men come from as far away as California with nothing but bat and ball on their mind. I am very worried, my confrontation with Mr. Honahnie last summer can only work against me. Instead of being assured a position, I am but one of near a score of men made to “try out” for the roster. He has told the local papers improvements are needed for our club to contend for a pennant; specifically mentioning my position of short stop. Many of us have been told if we can not make the grade with the Clevelanders, a team in Akron or Portsmouth will be willing to take us on in case injury opens a spot on the roster.

At $500, the summer is worth the sweat and tears. But these other squads are like the locals back home, playing for a few dollars and a cold beer after the game. I do not know if I could take to that life so far from you. With another summer of improvement, I can have enough income from the game and winter labor to purchase us a humble cottage to begin our married life in. Without the game, I fear we would have to postpone our wedding until I can earn enough from traditional means. Some of the established players talk of making close to $1,000.00 this summer, I fear to even ask Mr. Honahnie a penny more for fear he will release me from my contract.

I do not mean to fill your head with worry for me, but it is hard to confide in men who hold the same desires as you. I see men pushing themselves as hard as I and cheer silently as they fail; and feel sick knowing they do the same to me. The good Lord is testing my spirit and body. Last summer I lacked the control and discipline needed to earn Mr. Honahnie’s respect as a player and man. I only have a few days to show him I am not the foolish boy of a summer ago.

Yours in love,
Leander Tanner
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote