View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #690
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Reign Over Me - 3 of 5 stars

The big question I have is really "why Adam Sandler?" If you're trying to make a movie, why roll the dice on him rather than bring in a true dramatic actor? I guess no one would watch. Maybe it's the same reason you use 9/11 as the backdrop rather than a car accident or a fire or something. Anyway, Sandler is OK, he has some funny moments, but he doesn't quite pull off a number of dramatic scenes for me (mostly in the final 1/3rd of the film). I will say that overall Sandler played a pretty good crazy character, and not Hollywood crazy (like someone zany and eccentric), but real-world, a little bit scary to be around crazy. The character felt believably unstable.

Don Cheadle does his thing and turns in another very solid under-the-radar performance. He feels like a real character surrounded by a couple suspect ones. The last 1/3rd drags and there were a couple awkward plot points I won't get into.

I don't regret watching this movie, but I wouldn't really recommend it either. I am entirely neutral towards this movie.

You basically said why I'm unsure about this movie. I don't get Sandler in the role. My wife made the comment that they chose him because of that. He could do both parts because people know what he's usually like and to see him like that would get the point across better.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote