View Single Post
Old 02-18-2024, 01:12 PM   #868
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Pre-season favorites!?

Lo and behold, we're considered to be the DogBytes pre-season favorites to win it all the upcoming season. In the past, we've sat at the top many times before, but then it was fully based on our exceptional cohesion. This time around, we have the second best roster, apparently. I mean, I don't really buy it, but we do have a fine roster with the likes of QB Renaldo Wilson and the receivers group he can work with, a strong offensive line anchored by 2 elite players LT Dan Clancy and G Greg Brizzolara, and on the defense we can field young stars like DT Floyd Dillon and CB Andre McAninch surrounded by other awesomeness. Our true difference making part of the team should be the special teams unit again. I've really strived to make that unit the best in the league and, although I think we can improve on it a bit more, I do think it shows in our decision making at various positions.

Having locked up key players is something I'm happy about as well. We locked up QB Renaldo Wilson through 2123 and G Greg Brizzolara through 2125. Both ended up signing contracts that were neither what the demanded, nor the high bonus low current salary, nor the flat salaries contracts I'm used to handig out. I think I've found a middle ground that players seem to prefer over all the other options, but I'm not quite sure where the fine print is to minimize the cap cost and cap hell proneness.

I'm not yet convinced we're truly the best of the division, Gothenburg acquired their own veteran solid quarterback, which was bad news for the division and the entire conference. Besides, Paris has caught up last season, getting to the playoffs for the first time under current management and Bordeaux was a week 17 all or nothing loss away from winning the division and making the playoffs.

For now, we'll have to try to just focus on the next game. Week 1 will be at home against Paris. A team with the second most talented quarterback in the league. Their star wide receiver had 11 catches for 197 in Oranje Haven last season. We won that game, but it shows how strong that combo is. Prepare mentally for a shootout, a 30-27 kind of game, hopefully in our advantage.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote