View Single Post
Old 04-03-2023, 11:35 PM   #17
Emmett13
Mascot

2039 Transfer Portal

A decent amount of player movement this transfer season, some of it good, some bad.

We'll start with the bad. Hans Gabriel, who was probably our best player last year, bailed on us and is on the way to serve in the Air Force and play basketball in Colorado Springs. He was a disruptive presence in the locker room and it was a pretty 'leadery' group, so I could see he how he wouldn't get along. I tried to bring him back, but he was convinced. He averaged 12 and 6 for us last year, played good defense and converted at a very high percentage around the basket.

I also decided to cut both Rene Ross and Michael Thomas, to open a couple of more point guard spots. Michael Thomas is off to Long Island U. Rene Ross is just out of college basketball, which probably goes to show I shouldn't have signed him to begin with.

Ross had replaced Thomas as the backup point guard by the end of the season, but neither had the size I'm wanting in a point guard, and obviously I considered both expendable.

We added one player, and it's one I'm happy about:

Brandon Vanderwal, 6'2", 175, Senior, Newark, New Jersey

Vanderwal is a former 4 star, top 50 recruit who was over recruited at Villanova last season and hardly got off the bench. He's a bit slight for my tastes, and isn't strong at all, but he's a tremendous athlete everywhere else and has intangibles out of the roof. So, even if recruiting doesn't go well for me and I don't sign a standout point guard, I feel pretty good about him starting for me this year.

Recruiting Plan

With Gabriel gone, suddenly I need to sign another prep big man, which I hadn't really planned on worrying about much. I 100% need at least one more point guard, and probably 2, and then the other 4 or 5 spots are going to go to wings.

I'm looking for big, beefy wings that are strong and can contribute on the glass. Obviously shooting and other offensive skills would be nice, but they are certainly secondary. The first phase of recruiting has begun, and I've identified quite a few guys I'm interested in. I'm hoping to snag a few.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote