View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #66
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
The local library had the Lies of Locke Lamora, so I picked it up. I've read maybe 3 pages this morning...so I don't have much of a former opinion as of yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Well constructed piffle, endorsed. Pretty sure I heard about it here (this forum, not necessarily this thread) and am looking forward to the next (4th) installment, which is in review I understand.
How'd it turn out Deac? It's awkward now given the series delays, and I'm not even sure what genre I'd tab it in, but that's probably the first book I recommend to literally anyone until I understand their preferences. I don't think I've ever read another fiction book with a real plot that made me laugh out loud at dialogue multiple times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I am mostly done Oathbringer, which is the 3rd (and most recent) of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. I love how each book "features" one of the main characters. There's a spattering of backstory that gets thrown in every few chapters, and it fills in the gaps of the character's motivation and how they got there. I'd say this is my favorite series of the past 10 years for sure. I'll have to read the complete series before I can place it beyond that.

The Patrick Rothfuss series had a fantastic start. The Name of the Wind is one of the greatest fantasy books I've ever read. However, the 2nd book wasn't nearly as good. It just lost the sense of wonder that made the 1st book special. It was still good, but didn't really progress much beyond that.

I'm also listening to the Wheel of Time and SOIAF via audiobooks. I've never passed the 8th book in the Robert Jordan series, I'm currently on book 3 and I plan on getting to the end. With ASOIAF, I've read the books already and watched the show twice, so going through the audiobooks is kind of like coming home. I'm really enjoying it. The show helped me to understand some of the characters, and now that I'm re-experiencing it, I'm enjoying some of the character arcs a LOT more than I did the first time around. Too bad we'll most likely never get to see the true ending, and will probably have to settle with the TV show as our ending.

I'll be honest - I could use less Shallan POV/Shadesmar & more Kaladin/Dalinar POV, but unlike every other author of an unfinished anthology I do believe he'll finish it & tie things up unless he dies unexpectedly.

I think I've said my thoughts on Rothfuss here before - book 1 was amazing, book 2 felt somewhat like he was biding his time, and the delay for book 3 makes me think (unlike Lynch with the Thorn of Emberlain) he never had a clue how to play it out, not that he isn't trying. It's the Meerenese Knot George Martin struggled with, except this is the actual ending, not some minor subplot.

I actually think it's more likely Martin writes the final book(s) now that Season 8 went so obviously poorly. He strikes me as a petty man who enjoyed the fame & attention but desperately wants credit, and he's now been given an opportunity to be adored again. Doesn't even need to change the broad plot strokes, just give the characters sensible motivation for their actions.

I'm still in the midst of Steven Erikson's 10 part (but finished!) Malazan Book of the Fallen. The first few were awesome, the world building is insanely deep, and my friend who read it fully through does say it pays off near the end, but man there's a lot to digest & it's a hump to basically start over with Book 4.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote