View Single Post
Old 07-08-2023, 06:37 PM   #243
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
DeSantis is a very successful GOP governor. He's implemented a lot of pro-GOP policies and gotten re-elected easily in one of the biggest and most important states in the country.

But his presidential campaign seems to be a series of mistakes and missteps.

I wonder if the right analogy is how sometimes a coach is a great coordinator but a lousy head coach.

If it is not completely obvious from my postings about him, I am not a fan. But it would be foolish to say that DeSantis is not a very successful governor. The issue is I can't say that he is a successful governor because he is Ron DeSantis. Think about it, before DeSantis there was Rick Scott. Before Scott was Charlie Crist and before that was Jeb Bush. Anyone noticing a pattern? All of those GOPers were considered successful governors who won two terms except for Crist who had the gall to support Obama's stimulus plan and left the party. All except Crist have at some point been considered to have at least a decent shot at the GOP presidential nomination. Maybe winning the governor's mansion in Florida has little less to do with the GOP candidates for governor and more about the dumpster fire that is the Democratic Party in Florida.

I am not saying that the GOP could put anybody on the ballot and win. I am saying as long as the Dems just throw anybody on the ballot every four years with no real plan as to who and why, the GOP might be able to just put anybody on the ballot and continue to win without much need to run a proper campaign.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote