View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Officer definitely went over the line but I have no sympathy for the kid. He should have followed the officers instructions. Plain and simple.

This

The punishment the officer got is WELL deserved, and law enforcement should be accountable when they cross the line like this.

But at some point people need to realize that complying with instructions instead of trying out your amateur lawyer skills pays far better dividends. My son in Naval law enforcement is at a base with a high civilian workforce, so 80% of his interactions are with civilians and are the same as an officer in most cities.

He has people try and goad him into a 'mistake' almost daily and it wears on him sometimes. At the end of the day he just wants to do his job well and go home to his son. Luckily he is fairly laid back and is a bit of a smart ass, so he just handles these situations with clever little retorts or ruthless professionalism and stays on an even keel.

But after listening to some of his stories I can see why someone who may already be a hothead can snap. This is never an excuse and I want to make it clear I am not saying it should be, but people just need to be respectful and rant about it later on facebook.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote