Thread: Selling a house
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Selling a house

Is there any more of a frustrating process?

We decided last year to move from Portland back to NJ to be closer to family. My wife got her employer to let her work from home, and got them to pay for the move (she is a rock star VP of sales for a Warren Buffet company). We decided to move after the school year for obvious reasons.

Listed house begining of April. Beautiful house, great area (west linn), second best school district in the state. Figured we would have no troubles.

Well, 4 months went by and we got very little interest. By all accounts the market slowed down quite a bit. We dropped the price several times to the tune of almost 100K worth of drops. We moved to NJ in July where we have been living with my in laws. Once we moved we paid to have the house staged, over 600/ month. We also continued to pay the utlities, landscaper, insurance, etc...plus storage for our stuff at over 1K/ month. At this point costing us more to not live there than to live there.

The summer was super stressful for me, because we had decided we didn't want to buy anything here without selling in Oregon first, so we had no idea where our kids would go to school. We finally had to decide and used the school closest to my in laws house. The school has been awesome and the kids love it, but now we need to find a house in that schools boundaries.

Finally a coupe looked at the house and loved it, and they have been the biggest pains in the asses. We are handling all this through corporate relocation, so there are very specific IRS regulations that have to be followed. This couple questioned it every step of the way. We finally went under contract and did the inspection Their list of demands was absurd. We had already agreed to give them 10K at closing to stain the back deck and paint the outside of this house. They had a list of several other items, including stating the sidewalk out front is uneven and they want it fixed, for a cost of over 3K. We told them to pound sand on that one and agreed to every thing else, to the tune of 2K.

Finally last night they accepted and we are totally good.

What a pain t=in the rear process this has been. I have sold homes before, and while it is a pain, never like this.

Now we just need to buy one here, which is going to be difficult because there isn't much inventory during school year.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote