View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Role Assignments

Based on a discussion that started in the last game I figured I would start a thread for discussion.

How do you determine your role assignments when running a game?

Do you go 100% random, a mix of random and hand picking or entirely hand picking? Does it depend on the type of game (complexity) or the number of players? Do you mix it up?

I've done all of the above. The Olympics game was the first one that I ran which was 100% based upon random selection. Others have been a mix and one was entirely hand picking.

When hand picking I tried to put together a mix of newer players with experienced players on both sides.

I have also made a few alterations from the random selections based upon how some of the recent games had played out in some of the games that I had run. (Example: Making PB a vanilla villager in a game to try to help get rid of the "he's roled or a wolf" stigma and in another game making Schmidty a villager because he was on a long run of being a wolf and I could tell was unhappy about that run.)

In other cases I have made changes to try to spread out the roles a bit. If I recall correctly Lathum had a good role in one of my first games so I made him vanilla in the next game to give a high profile role to another person.

Thoughts?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote