View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #7020
molson
General Manager

Us: 9/10

I love my neighborhood second-run theater, and the fact that I got to see this on the big screen for $3.

I didn't see Get Out, and Us kind of faded from relevance pretty quickly. I think I read it was the first film ever to make $70 million opening weekend but then not reach $200 million. Maybe because it's kind of weird. But it's delightfully weird. It works as a simple horror/survival movie, but simmering just below that this this complex, untold part of the story that you only need to speculate about if you really want to. And there's a social commentary if you want to dig that far, but, it's completely not necessary to do so, it's not in your face. There's unexpected comedy that hits, and the soundtrack is brilliant. The kind of movie that's fun to watch, and then fun to read about for an hour or so afterwards and have those "aha!" moments for the things you miss. I can't wait to see what Jordan Peele does next. There's not a lot of writer/director/producer movies out there, but there is something extra compelling about seeing a movie that is (essentially) the culmination of one person's vision.

Last edited by molson : 06-07-2019 at 12:40 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote