View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #376
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quick roster assessment:

QB - Gelenaw got paid, he's a $70m cap hit, and has settled in as a top-15 passer, 7 ypc rusher, and a top-tier OPOY candidate overall

RB - Wells is a free agent, 8th year, but coming off two big seasons. My guess is I will have to outgun AVAILABLE to keep him - humans don't love fossils at RB. I have the cap space to do it, I think, just need to decide whether I want to, or just draft a RB1. Big offseason pivot point here.

FB/TE - FB Sullivan is decent, a cohesion plus, and a chem leader. TE is okay, but all our guys are veterans (8,9,10th) so that's an obvious spot to target for improvement. Definitely open to taking the 2nd TE off the board in the late 1st round, if there's a good fit for us chem-wise. Otherwise, we continue to limp along with our good-enough vets.

WR - Everett grades as 56/56 but has zero endurance, so we rotate all our 40-something guys to make the air corps go. It's fine, not ideal. If we see a stud or semi-stud on the market, we could make a play, but I doubt I have the ammo to outbid lunatic humans. Most likely, we just go into this season with more or less the same bunch we have now - okay, not special.

OL - Starters return, and all are ok: Tatum 11 - Meek 6 - Hucke 8 - Henderson 3 - Darche 5. Chem is excellent for now, but Henderson is a looming problem with his 66/18 ratio, so he's a candidate for us to replace and deal/cut. Not an urgent need, but if our BPA at 1.26 is a guy who would start this season at G, that would be fine for me.

P/K - Whatevs. We're fine.

DL - Still our pride and joy, but so expensive. Baxter finally gave us his A game, he's the build-around guy at 86/86 and is paid like it. McKenzie playes at DT last year to keep him happy and re-signable, but now DT Dunn is angry. This is likely the last year for DE Durham, but we're solid behind him, including chem anchor Don Shields who is actually good enough to play as a situational pass rusher. Bets unit on the team.

LB - Weakness here. Zastudil is in his 11th season, great cohesion/chem guy but it will be hard to beat an offer from AVAILABLE there. We have rotation-caliber guys and no stars here, really. Counting on run stopper Kerr (44, 3rd), solid guy Wicks (51, 7th) and redshirt RunD/PRTech guy McCormick (36/47, 2nd) as the core of the unit for the short term. Obvious area to move in on a free agent, and/or target with first two rounds. I'm really not sold that LB is a difference-making position, but I have instincts of a collector... and that means I just want to have a nice collection of red bars everywhere. A top-15 LB I could just slot at SLB would make me feel better about this roster, even if he only translates to 0.3 wins.

DB - Super deep, and pretty good. Hudson is a star CB1 (67, 8th) plus we have a lovely young core to build around in CB Frierson (61, 3rd), Hardin (60, 4th), Gribble (40/59, 2nd), S Collins (41, 6th). Biggest issue here is chemistry, we either need to trade/cut S Littlejohn or overcome his bad chem ratio (93/33) to get this group back into alignment. Sadly, that's easier said than done. Dealing Littlejohn is an obvious angle to play here, he should fetch some value I'd think.

So... if I had my druthers, and within reason, I think a model draft for us would look something like this:

1.26 high-end LB
2.26 good fit TE
2.31 project WR
3.26 project RB
4.26 depth at OL
4.31 depth at LB

Having extra picks in rounds 2 and 4 will give me notions, though. So, if we could deal up to someone earlier in round one to target a WR or monster LB/TE, I'd definitely be open to that.

Star rookie WR
Veteran LB via free agency/trade
wait for later to fix TE

...that's a perfectly fine plan, as well.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote