View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #310
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: A busy day at the office...
And that didn't go as planned at all.

We're drafting in IHOF and that means getting yourself ready to make picks or have a list ready. The bad news is that sometimes duty calls and before your scouts return to the war room to give reports on the 12 players worth selecting at the 1.9 overall pick, that pick is no longer available to use: our clock ran out.
The good news was that we ended up getting assigned the highest graded player of this draft class, offensive tackle Douglas Grosz.

I had hoped to have a shot at trading up for one of the three quarterbacks of this class, or for undersized top wide receiver Bryson Zimmerman. After seeing interview results, there actually was one wide receiver still worth picking at the #9 overall slot: wide receiver Tristan Powell, but we ran of luck, not just a little bit, but big time.

Trading down to the 1.28 slot saves some value, because quite frankly, we have no room for an offensive tackle on our roster and tight cap. 1.28 was lower than I had hoped to move down to, if this situation would arise, but with some stellar back and forth trade talks, we managed to end up with an additional first round pick next draft. The cap situation will also get a bit better, as we'll save $4.7M with this trade.

Renegotiations with 18 of 21 players were successful, although most were cap outs. From actually renegotiations, only 3 of 6 were accepted. It was at the very least enough to end up $9.8M under the cap. The draft cost will still require us to get the other renegotiations worked out, but I think we'll manage. I've also started making offers to all the restricted free agents.

But the thing that matters is that we lost our chance to pick a new wide receiver. The window of opportunity closed about 40 minutes before I got my hands on the information needed to make a decision. This was all the bad luck we really needed to make the unusually horrific season we recently finishes, get even worse.

If this was a card game, well, now would be a tremendous time to try my luck at love, I suppose?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote